Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I'm new to the diesel world, and i had a weird experiance today, I have a 89 GMC 6.2L 3500 dually, on my way home from work it started losing power, to a point where i thought i was out of fuel, (over 3/4 tank) then it would come back.... and so on.... I pulled over and at idle it was surgeing... I didn't see anything wrong, so I was only 2 minites from home, I limped it home. and on the way every once in a while the "diesel rattle" got louder, when i got home i found it to be a liter and a 1/4 low on oil, ( it has a small leak) I filled it up and now it seems fine... are diesel that sensitive to oil level? I mean they hold what..7 liters?! so it still had 5 3/4 in it..

any help ...please

Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Todd,

Your problem could indeed be related to a low oil level. Your 6.2 uses hydraulic valve lifters. If there is not enough oil in your engine, the oil pump could pump some air through the engine and to the valve lifters. This will cause for the valves to not open completely(low power). You can hear a loud "ticking" or "rattling", the same noise you hear on a cold start, when there is no oil pressure in the lifters right away.

But if you were only a bit low on oil it's still strange. Maybe you drove some sharp bends or some hills when you had this problem???

Or your problem is fuel related.. I once had the same behaviour with another diesel in the winter. I found out it was a frozen air-vent on the fueltank, so the fuel pump couldn't get any diesel out because of a vacuum inside the tank. You could check your fuel system for any leaks.

Daan Edited by: Kuultermaster

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well,

On further investication, i found the relay for the lift pump burnt out, I ran a jumper wire to the pumpand everything seems perfect now, weird....

thanx Todd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts