Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rolled down my driver's side window the other day and it started making this noise that kind of sounds like a ratcheting sound. Then when I went to roll it up I had to help it with my hand. Any ideas on what the problem is?

·
Registered
463 Posts
WYO_DMAX said:
I rolled down my driver's side window the other day and it started making this noise that kind of sounds like a ratcheting sound. Then when I went to roll it up I had to help it with my hand. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Sounds like its time for a new power window regulator.

I would be very leary of opening the window again until its fixed...

Kevin

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that. Does anybody know what one costs, and can I do the install myself?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think there is a service bulletin on the power windows.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm off warranty, so the SB's don't apply do they? I had it in a couple weeks ago to fix the cold air leak on the passenger side (per SB) and they wouldn't do it because it was off warranty.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nope the won't cover you for SB work once your out of warranty.

Same thing happened to me, window went down and not up. I tore door apart and pushed glass up in place. Not a repair that you want to try in the driveway.

Had dealer repair, bill was north of 200, I want to say $250 or so.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Check ebay, you can find window regulators on there pretty cheap. They aren't that hard to install, but if you don't want to do it it would take a body shop an hour or so...

·
Registered
17 Posts
All you need is a 10mm socket, a 7mm socket, and a pocket screw driver. Someone with a little abilty can do this job himself in about a half hour....people that do it every day can do it in 10 minutes or less. Give it a try!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found one on EBay for $90, pretty good compared to $165 from the dealer. I have a freind that owns a body shop and has changed these out before. He said he would help me change it out.

Thanks for all the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts