Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So: 1989 Burb, 6.2 diesel. New fan clutch and water pump installed.

BEFORE, the power steering pump would screech when I cut the wheel all the way (only).

AFTER: it screeches when I turn the wheel quickly at any speed.

Seems that the PS pump is worn. . but why would a new fan clutch/water pump worsen it?

The fan clutch (when removed) was surprisingly hard to turn . . . if the motor was working hard to spin it, that would seem to IMPROVE the PS pump . . right? The new fan clutch is easier to spin, so the motor can spin the PS pump faster now. . . right? THANKS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The fan clutch (when removed) was surprisingly hard to turn . . . if the motor was working hard to spin it, that would seem to IMPROVE the PS pump . . right? The new fan clutch is easier to spin, so the motor can spin the PS pump faster now. . . right? THANKS!
Not sure what you mean by hard to turn when removed. A good working fan clutch when installed should be stiff and only turn a blade or 2 when spun by hand. If it spins somewhat freely then the clutch is bad.

Also the speed of the PS pump is directly proportional to the speed of the engine and has nothing to do with the load placed on the engine by the other accessories

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean by hard to turn when removed. A good working fan clutch when installed should be stiff and only turn a blade or 2 when spun by hand. If it spins somewhat freely then the clutch is bad.

Also the speed of the PS pump is directly proportional to the speed of the engine and has nothing to do with the load placed on the engine by the other accessories

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Thank you! Any idea why the PS pump would be worse after install of the new fan clutch/water pump?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: It was the old water pump that was very hard to turn. Sorry!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts