Diesel Place banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I would only do that as a last resort, you risk ruining the seal, there ia a tool to put the pulley back on with.
Please show me where there is a seal on the PULLEY.
These keyless pulleys are a shrink to fit type. The PULLEY should be heated up to around 150* to install. You heat them up and use the install tool to replace them. Have done this many times. If not heated they will bind up before seating all the way on the shaft. They dont have to be heated to remove. They make a removal tool for that.

Reactions: alpacalips

·
Registered
420 Posts
Get a GM Manual & look it up, they don't tell you to heat it. The seal is in the pump around the shaft, hot goes to cold, the heat will be absorbed by the shaft, the seal will be deformed.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Are we talking about 150-200* C? 150c is 302 F so a little on the warm side up not crazy for things under the hood. 200 is 392 so that is getting up there and you are only gonna see those temps on things like exhaust so I would agree that that could be getting into the stress zone for a seal but then again we are not heating the part with the seal only the pulley so even after its installed is the seal really gonna experience the full temp? I don't think it would.. The pulley isn't that dense so its going to loose heat fairly quickly then the shaft has some mass that is coupled to the bearings and the fluid so ya it would get warm but I don't think any warmer than it would normally experience during normal use.

If we were talking those temps in F then if that damages the seal you have some pretty terrible quality seals. There isn't anything under the hood that is gonna be less than 200*F after a drive around the block on a warm day.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I guess I should have been more clear I was referring to 150* F. That low temp will in no way hurt a seal from heat conduction. But it does expand the metal enough to prevent binding.

Reactions: Glagulator

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes but I didn't have to, I fixed my pulley. for around 48 - 50 dollars i believe but not absolutely sure.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts