Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the power steering pulley when replacing the water pump used a pulley remover. That said the pulley will not go back on completely it stops short of a 1/4-3/8 inch using an installer. I don't see anything in the way on the shaft or the in the pulley hole. Any ideas before I pull the trigger on a new pulley. The other question I was looking at if I had to replace the pump what would be the best one. I looked online for a replacement at RockAuto etc. The PSP on my truck only has one low pressure line which is connected to the Hydroboost. The new and rebuilt PSP with reservoir has two low pressure lines. Except for the $330.00 New AC pump, Is that my only option..any help is appreciated.

AC rebuilt pump with two low pressure connections
New AC Pump

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So i found another thread regarding another DP member looking to replace his PSP pulley that he has left on a psp pump when he purchased a new pump. He either had a real hard time finding one or wasn't able to. So this part could render 6.5L engines non-usable unless there is a different avenue for replacement. What years are compatible

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The power steering pumps for these trucks are pretty much the same, the reservoirs with 2 returns are for the hydroboost. The pulleys are hard to come by because they were a one of a kind for this setup. The 96-up uses a different (shaped) reservoir and diff. pulley, same as the gassers, no problem finding parts.
I convert to the 96-up accessory setup when I get a 95 and recommend it if you plan to keep the truck.
Did you see the PM (conversation) I sent you?

Reactions: 56pan

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only PM i see is the reply that im reading in pm there are nothing from you in (conversation)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
At the upper right of the this page you should see your avatar to the left of the 3 vertical dots.
It should have a red dot on it. Click on your avatar, then conversation.
It's called conversation now, used to be called PM, Personal Message.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
128 Posts
The power steering pumps for these trucks are pretty much the same, the reservoirs with 2 returns are for the hydroboost. The pulleys are hard to come by because they were a one of a kind for this setup. The 96-up uses a different (shaped) reservoir and diff. pulley, same as the gassers, no problem finding parts.
I convert to the 96-up accessory setup when I get a 95 and recommend it if you plan to keep the truck.
Did you see the PM (conversation) I sent you?
Hope yall don't mind if I butt in here and ask Glagulator a question......when you said "convert to the 96-up accessory setup" are you talking about the PS pump system only, or do you mean ALL the accessories including the alternator, A/C, etc? I have a '95.....and plan on keeping the truck.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The whole setup, brackets, a/c comp., p/s pump, alternator, and vac pump if you need it.
It's all or nothing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The whole setup, brackets, a/c comp., p/s pump, alternator, and vac pump if you need it.
It's all or nothing.
Thanks.....so if I changed over to the '96-up setup would it make doing the '97 cooling upgrade easier on my '95?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Actually you will have to do that, the 95 crossover will not work.
I left that out of the list, oops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No problem...thanks for the good info.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
To re-install the PS pump pulley.
It helps to heat up the pulley before install. Heat expands the metal to get it to slide on all the way. I put it in the oven at 200* to warm it up. It goes on much easier. Also make sure the shaft and hole in pulley are clean.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dadddyoh, What city are you in??

·
Registered
420 Posts
To re-install the PS pump pulley.
It helps to heat up the pulley before install. Heat expands the metal to get it to slide on all the way. I put it in the oven at 200* to warm it up. It goes on much easier. Also make sure the shaft and hole in pulley are clean.
I would only do that as a last resort, you risk ruining the seal, there ia a tool to put the pulley back on with.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope yall don't mind if I butt in here and ask Glagulator a question......when you said "convert to the 96-up accessory setup" are you talking about the PS pump system only, or do you mean ALL the accessories including the alternator, A/C, etc? I have a '95.....and plan on keeping the truck.
Not at all bro go for it. Its a community

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry bro,
Yes it Lathrop, Ca..... I live in central California, Where do you live btexpress.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am in Kentucky, was going to let you use my pulley installer. I am a retired from 55 years working on GM vehicles. I think I still have some tools (GM) for the 6.2 & 6.5 engines if any one is interested. I haven't used them in years. It's 2 AM here, I am going to bed, check back tomorrow....

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was using an inexpensive puller/installer. When pulling it off the outside lip where the puller locks onto somehow distorted. I was ready looking for a new pulley but none to be found. Glagulator mentioned to try emery cloth on the area that was pinched after that I was able to press it on with the install tool. Thank you, for the offer though i really appreciate it.

Off topic there is a 1995 3500 in a wrecking yard in california with complete engine. Don't know why the truck was brought there only saw the engine it looked clean except for dust from sitting.

LOL Auto Parts, Inc USA-CA(Salida) Request_Quote 209-596-4944

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,872 Posts
You can go there and get the PS Pump with the pulley intact?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts