Diesel Place banner

power steering pump in 02 duramax

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  msheriff 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Silverado with a 6.6L duramax. The truck has 48,600 miles on it. I live in Penna. and when I went to back out of my driveway the other day I had no power steering or brakes. I left the truck warm up for 15 minutes. No help. Had it towed to a chevy dealer and they said water got in the power steering pump and froze it up. After $650 I am fixed up. Anyone else have tis problem? I have a problem with a truck having only 48,600 miles failing like this.
thanks, John M.

#5 ·
rebel zuk;1741808; said:
My power steering doesnt cycle the wheels very well when it is at a stand still...Once I am rolling, no problems. Is this normal?

No. Could be a low pressure problem

#7 ·
Easy there, there is a check valve in the system, so if the power steering is not working well, are you seeing any difference in the brakes?

See these trucks do not build much vacum so the brakes work off of the power steering pump for the added assist of braking, and that is why I am asking.

#8 ·
Answer to the origional posting is I have never heard of the water issue, but it would be plausable, I would think if it thawed and you purged the system and reserviced with fresh fluid, it would possibly fix the problem. There is a check valve that sticks, and most people just replace the pump to be safe since it does play a big part in the brakes. If it happens again, just keep cycling the steering wheel and the valve will most time pop open and everything will function properly, but still there is not a warm fuzzy feeling knowing if it happens at the wrong time, the brakes will need a STRONG leg to get this puppy stopped!

#11 ·
A couple of times I heard my p/s. pump making noise like it was low on fluid even though it was full. I flushed my P/S fluid out and replaced with syn. fluid. Hopefully this will help to avoid future problems. Fluid did appear darker in color then the new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.