Diesel Place banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
steering whine

No, I haven't cycled the ABS. I will next time I'm on a dirt road.

I removed the Magnefine and all is good in the world again. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone. I mean, the OEM ps system has made it along just fine for over 9 years I don't know why I thought I needed to add a filter...or a cooler for that matter.

My OCD + these boards = fixing / worrying about that which ain't broke. :shake:

Because I could NOT find a single negative post about Magnefine causing issues (there were only posts about them leaking) let me go out on a limb here and be the first to say:

"Magnefine power steering filter may cause power steering issues."

Now at least when someone does a Google search they'll be able to see that at least one person had a problem with adding the filter. Okay, I expect bashing me to now commence...
:coffee:
Well after dealing with the occasional whine and hard steering, I also decided to pull the Magnafine filter off of mine also, I thought that maybe it was my pump but, I started thinking the benefits of better flow would make the pump happier. I went ahead and just cut the crimp band off the return line on the steering box and put one of the lines from the cooler to it, and the on the line goes to the inlet on the return inlet of the pump resevoir.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Well after dealing with the occasional whine and hard steering, I also decided to pull the Magnafine filter off of mine also, I thought that maybe it was my pump but, I started thinking the benefits of better flow would make the pump happier. I went ahead and just cut the crimp band off the return line on the steering box and put one of the lines from the cooler to it, and the on the line goes to the inlet on the return inlet of the pump resevoir.
You will definitely have to let us know if pulling the filter fixed your issues. It sure seems to have fixed mine. I can't believe I may have helped someone. lol

I didn't cut the crimp off as you described because I wanted something to catch the hose like a barb so it couldn't slide off. So I cut that same line you did, but leaving about 4 inches of rubber line. Added a barb fitting and tied into that. It's been two months and no issues whatsoever with it. I do still need to do another brake flush when it cools down (October) cycling the ABS redneck style.

I haven't taken the old filter apart either to see what the few hundred miles did to it. And I still have another one in the box. Oh well. No Magnefine for me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You will definitely have to let us know if pulling the filter fixed your issues. It sure seems to have fixed mine. I can't believe I may have helped someone. lol

I didn't cut the crimp off as you described because I wanted something to catch the hose like a barb so it couldn't slide off. So I cut that same line you did, but leaving about 4 inches of rubber line. Added a barb fitting and tied into that. It's been two months and no issues whatsoever with it. I do still need to do another brake flush when it cools down (October) cycling the ABS redneck style.

I haven't taken the old filter apart either to see what the few hundred miles did to it. And I still have another one in the box. Oh well. No Magnefine for me.
When i cut the crimp off, it has a raised spot on the hard line and when I slide the rubber hose onto it i was able to fit two fuel injection hose clamps on to it. I also took apart the filter and it wasn't all that dirty inside but, there still the possibility for resistance of flow.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Awesome! Didn't know about the raised lip. That should be fine.

Yea, I just think that the OEM pump is undersized and probably can't handle the restriction. Why others haven't reported the issue, I don't know. It does seem that alot of folks were having whining pumps or loss of steering at slow speeds BEFORE they did the ps service. Which I never had. So may just be a case by case thing on that and on how adding the pump messes with it.

Either way, I'm glad it was as simple as NOT adding a filter.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
mp06011999, see post 6 for a pump upgrade by Ramblinrodney, should help with the slow speed parking lot maneuvers and backing a trailer.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/80-suspension-steering-2001-2010/755409-power-steering-whine.html#post7509097

I'm going to put in a new GM Part No.20756713 pump that will drop right in. It's for 07.5 and newer. It has some new updates that were incorporated from our pump GM Part No.15909827 10 vanes to 12 vanes different pressure valve and union. They just started to build this pump when I left.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
update, after removing I took the truck out for about a 50 mile drive and I do believe that the steering has gotten better! The brakes also seem to be a little bit better, not as noticeable as the steering but, none the less, I am impressed! Thanks MP for the heads up!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
update, after removing I took the truck out for about a 50 mile drive and I do believe that the steering has gotten better! The brakes also seem to be a little bit better, not as noticeable as the steering but, none the less, I am impressed! Thanks MP for the heads up!
You are very welcomed! My ps has been flawless since removing the filter. I really think it was just too restrictive.

I was careful to blow out all the new lines before adding the filter and I used new ps fluid and bled the hell out of it and still had issues. I don't think anything got in the fluid, just that the filter is too restrictive. And yes, I know they claim their filter does not restrict, but that is physically impossible. Anything that touches the fluid creates some restriction and add to that the reduced inside diameter at the filter.

I don't know why others haven't had issue with the filter, but glad at least two of us that did got it fixed easily.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Got the Cooler mounted. I takes about 20 min to snake it through. You need to find a bolt to mount the side mount to the trany Cooler frame. The threaded hole is already in place. Found a bolt in the garage and all is well. Now for those who have done this I just want to make sure I am plumbing the hoses right. There is a line coming out of the back of the pump that turns to rubber with a hose clamp and goes down to the steering box. I think I take the line off there and put one of the cooler lines to the one going into the pump. Than I think I'm suppose to go to Home Depot and buy a 3/8 barbed union and hook the reaming cooler line to the line I pulled off the pump which goes down to the steering box.

Anybody that has done this please respond if this is correct.

Thanks
Griz

Any idea what size bolt was needed?

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
Will part # 10385584 work with my LMM new body style truck? Will it fit right in nicely?

2001-2010 frames are the same, the LBZ/LMM radiator and intercooler are identical so the part number above will fit. I picked up my stock cooler from the wrecking yard for $10.00 while buying some other items. I just cut the clamps and hose off and used some longer hoses and constant tension clamps.....
=
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4209562-post3.html
=
=
=
=

·
Registered
287 Posts
Any idea what size bolt was needed?

If anyone else is wondering the correct GM bolt # is 11589039 available from your dealer parts counter for $ 2.70

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes I truly feel the 8.1 and the 6.6 are the same dang thing under different part numbers on GM Parts Direct. The 8.1 is just way cheaper. If I had to do it again I would order the 8.1 cooler. Hope this helps.

OK I am a little confused here.

I want to install the power steering cooler on my 2004.4 DMax and when I check the part number on GM Parts Direct I get pn 15295847 (1 ton. 3/4 ton. 8.1L gas. All models. 2500 series, 8.1l. 6.6L turbo diesel. Without finned cooler.) and it costs $87.71. The sales guy emails me and told me that the above pn is incorrect and that it should be 10385584 (6.6l, 1 ton, 3/4 ton, all models, power conventional) for $144.04.

So my question is which one do I use????

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
OK I am a little confused here.

I want to install the power steering cooler on my 2004.4 DMax and when I check the part number on GM Parts Direct I get pn 15295847 (1 ton. 3/4 ton. 8.1L gas. All models. 2500 series, 8.1l. 6.6L turbo diesel. Without finned cooler.) and it costs $87.71. The sales guy emails me and told me that the above pn is incorrect and that it should be 10385584 (6.6l, 1 ton, 3/4 ton, all models, power conventional) for $144.04.

So my question is which one do I use????
I went with an aftermarket cooler off Amazon for like 20some dollars (Derale 13220) . Mounted w 2 zip screws into the V- shape cross members between the grille and radiator stack. Covered the screws with RTV to prevent rust and backing out. Easy peasy. I don't have pics anymore but did post them on here at the time.

I don't think it was needed as I never had a heating up issue of the PS fluid, but this site is REALLY good at making you do things you don't need to. :HiHi:

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Does anyone have better pics of how they routed the lines around the intercooler tube?

Also, for those who went with the 10385584 cooler, how did you hook into the steering gear?

Thanks!

141 - 157 of 157 Posts