Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just got a quick Q. I just bought a few bottles of the Power Service Diesel Kleen in the silver bottle, but now I'm reading alot of talk about
White in the winter
Silver in the summer

Can someone help me understand this, there's nothing on the bottle about temps (at least on the silver bottles)

Im in Northern Virginia it gets down in to the teens in the night and early morning but warms up to the 40's or so here lately.

2007.5 LMM
Thanks in advance:thankyou2

·
Registered
437 Posts
I run the white bottle in the winter. It has the anti-gel in it. I don't think you would have any problems with the silver unless it got below 0. Just to be safe, you might get a white bottle and put the silver on the shelf until spring.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Use the white bottle for the winter months (December through February. It is good for -40 ambient temps. When the weather gets warmer, (March through November), go back to the silver bottle and you shouldn't have any problems with fuel at all! Just be sure to follow the bottles recommendations for the correct amounts to add to your fuel tank!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anybody know if this stuff is necessary when running Bio? I thought I read where the bio runs cleaner and lubricates better then #2.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Anybody know if this stuff is necessary when running Bio? I thought I read where the bio runs cleaner and lubricates better then #2.
I think the concern is for gelling in colder temps.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
...Just be sure to follow the bottles recommendations for the correct amounts to add to your fuel tank!
When you read the bottle, it seems to give a pretty wide range of variables for mixing. Is it really that critical how it's mixed?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
A general measure is fine. I run around 8 ounces per tank in my CCSB.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Mixture

When you read the bottle, it seems to give a pretty wide range of variables for mixing. Is it really that critical how it's mixed?
It is not critical at all for how it is mixed, but I would try and follow the manufacturers suggestions or recommendations. I think they give minimum and maximum suggestions. If it is real cold, temps in the negative numbers, I run more toward the maximum recommendations and I add a little more to the tank, if it is not as cold, I tend to run more toward the minimum recommendations. You can experiment, but try and stay at or near the manufacturers suggestions as a guide!

Power Service also makes a special winter supplement for Biodiesel. Artic Express Biodiesel!

http://dev.powerservice.com/aeba/

I hope this helps! Have a Great Holiday Season!!!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
The last two tanks I added about 19oz (a 20oz pop bottle almost full) of Power Service white bottle. I'm thinking now that that's too much. The coldest it's been around here lately is the low 20's. I think I'll put in about half that next time. Do you guy think that I hurt anything putting that much in?

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Just your wallet!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
You don't hurt anything mechanically in the engine by adding to much additive. The only thing you do is waste the additive after you reach a certain point. Too much additive will not hurt anything! Except as stated in the above post, your wallet!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
i just about 16 oz per tank, and i'm running a 5% bio blend, that's at the lower range of what they say you can run with bio, but its not nearly as cold here as other places. if we get a real cold snap, i suppose i'd bump it up to the higher range of 24-36 oz.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Too much will work in reverse and raise the temp at which the fuel will gel. One oz per gallon will get you to -40F. I never go more than one oz. per two gallons of #2 fuel.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Fuel Power Service (white) is for winter because it has an anti-gell additive in it; the silver bottle Diesel Kleen has no anti-gel, and also has a bit more cetane boost, so it's for summer.

The proper mix ratio for the winter (white) stuff is .32 oz per gallon. The easy way to do this is just run 3 oz per 10 gallons. Look at the pump when you put the nozzel back, and add 3 oz for every 10 gallons pumped. If you don't end up at an even 10 gallon mark, just split the difference with an estimate. It's not so sensitive that being off an ounce or two will hurt anything.

They do have a website: www.powerservice.com and it's very informative.

If running a high bio-fuel concentration, they have products specifically for that.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Has anyone noticed any MPG improvements?
ac

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Has anyone noticed any MPG improvements?
ac
It's hard to tell because when I started using white, winter blend was out which arguably gives worse MPG

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
You will have to wait until the weather breaks and the good #2 diesel comes to get any idea of mileage increases. In the winter, the goal is just to make sure our Duramax's start up and run, and not to gel up. I speak for the northeast, since that is where I am from. I am not sure if the south or warmer climates continue to use the regular #2 diesel, or if the winter blend goes all around the country.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have run the Fuel Power Service (white bottle) since I got the truck, and I get such a good deal on the additive at the farm supply stores that I just run it year round (which you can do, no problem). Because of this, I really don't have much to compare it to mileage wise.

However, keep in mind that this stuff has been around for a long, long time. So have it's competitors. I'm sure the formulas change slighty, such as now being ULSD compliant.

In the old days of IDI non-turbo diesels, the combustion process was faily poor; by that I mean inefficient. Because of that, there was a good opportunity for an additive to gain some substantial efficiency in fuel consumption. Now, with common rails and high pressures on DI engines, I suspect the opportunity is less for the gain in mileage, because the engine injection events are much more efficient.

My point is that you might see a mileage gain decent enough to offset the cost of the product. In my opinion, that's enought to justify it's use, because of all the other benefits the additive provides, such as fuel stabilization, anti-gel, and lubricity gain.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I once ran Power Service silver is my tank at about 10 ounces in 1/10th of a tank of diesel and had to drive about 20km's that way, when i got to the next station that had diesel my injectors were all back within the normal range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts