Diesel Place banner

Power Service Diesel Kleen

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dirtbikindad393 
Whoa!

You should never load anything into the fuel filter before installing it. In the Dmax, that fuel filter is the only thing between you, and the pump and injectors.

There is significant risk in "pre-filling" any filter. There is no assurance that you won't introduce contaminants into the fuel (or that whatever you're pouring in doesn't already have some in it). Once the fluid gets to the inside of the element, it's heading to the pump. You are suggesting putting an unfiltered fluid into the system; not good on any level.

Install a dry filter; pump up with the primer button. That's the safest method. May take longer, but it's the safest.

BTW, on a slight detour, but similar subject: I know that many "pre-fill" an oil filter thinking that they are saving a second or two of the "no-pressure" condition at start up upon a filter change. Same concept here applies as the fuel filter. Pouring unfiltered fluid into the filter (typically in the center hole - where all these people do it) introduces UNFILTERED oil into the system, and it's heading right for everything you think your protecting. The risk of no oil pressure is outweighed by the risk of contaminants getting into the circulatory path and wreaking havoc. Believe it or not, as long as you do an oil change in a few minutes, there's enough residual oil clinging on the metal to help during that couple seconds or no pressure. In fact, I've always been a proponent of changing oil as quickly as possible, to purposely leave some oil up in the bearings for this very reason. Some people will pull the drain plug and let it drain down for 1/2 an hour, thinking they are getting the very last drops of oil out; that's true, but they are also leaving the bearings quite dry. I prefer to drop the plug and filter as quickly as possible, and when the oil starts it's dripping, I put the plug and new filter back on quickly. Then I fill and start as soon as possible.

It's your choice, but prefilling any filter is a risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.