Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question? I have a 1995 F-350 powerstroke, automatic overdrive. My fuel mileage sucks. It only gets 13 and If I go down south and don't pull a trailer it gets 15 mpg. I have a camper and boat I want to haul around this summer. I bought a K&N cold air filter system, and I put in a super chip tunner. I was also told I really need to replace the stock down pipe with a new 3" down pipe. Is this really going to do anything? What will it do? Will this help my fuel mileage any? I was told by changing out the down pipe I can get another 15hp and should get about 2mpg. I am thinking about changing it out but just wanted to see from other peoples thoughts if it would really do anything or am I just throwing away a hundred bucks or so. I am also going to get a turbo boost guage and egt guage if I can find a cheaper place to get them.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Yes, a new down pipe will definately help. I am not sure about the numbers you were told though. The stock down pipe is horrible. It is a huge restriction. Opening this up will allow your engine to breathe better. Let me know if we can help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 97 PWS and replaced the downpipe a year ago. It really is worth doing. I can now hear the sweet sound of that turbo whistling. It did help with the power and improved my gas mileage by about 1-2 miles per gallon. I only did the down pipe and left everything from converter and back on the truck. I wonder how much more improved it would be to straight pipe it all the way out.

Anyone know how much of a difference putting an intercooler on these models would make?

kp

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hope your not running the tuner without a new downpipe or EGT gauge. That will burn the motor up in a hurry.

Get the downpipe on, and straight pipe it, or use a large truck muffler so you have no restriction.

If you see fuel mileage gains they will be small when towing, but you will gain lots of power. there are better computer programs than what are avaiable from superchips, but since you have it, try it some first.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have the super chip installed, and my exause is straight pipe all the way. No muffler at all. I have ordered the down pipe for it just today. I have the super chip in my truck tuned into the performance mode but when I tow something I always swich it to the safe tow mode. I have not yet bought a boost or EGT gauge but I am going to get one next pay day. Who has the best prices on gauges and what should I expect to pay. What are the better computer programs you are talking about other than super chip. I am interested in trying anything. I pull a 30' fifth wheel camper with a boat hooked on the back of it during the summer and a four place snowmobile trailer all winter long. But before I do any more pulling of any kind I am planning to install the boost and EGT gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts