Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lbz has been smoking quite a bit at idle since new. The Dealer says its normal and there is no reflash etc to fix it. Well I got the power pup today and reprogrammed it and took it for a test drive on Tow haul, runs smartly pulls nice, about what I wanted. Later on after several stops around town I noticed, no more smoke/smell at idle. I hope it stays that way, as before it was pretty bad.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Maybe it just broke in...

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
smokeing at idle IS NOT NORMAL! Take it back to the dealer(stock and dont tell em a chip fixed it), if they dont fix it call GM....then try a new dealer. JMO

Have him fire up a few on the lot and show you a truck that smokes at idle. It may puff if its real cold ect but it will clean up quick.

Is this smoke or condensation? What color is it? The new lbzs do smell a bit.....but mine seems to be lessening its stink....or I'm getting used to it

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not...

My lbz has been smoking quite a bit at idle since new. The Dealer says its normal and there is no reflash etc to fix it
Ask the "Dealer" if he would like you to call the "EPA"... "Smoke" is one of the "Smog-Checks" the Diesel's have to "PASS"... (No Visible Smoke Allowed)

The "ratlover" is correct... "Smoke AIN'T Normal"... Take it back. (Without the Tune) :exactly:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Antoher guy in town has the same truck and he too says his stinks at idle. Smoke visibilty varies but the odor is very strong. He and I both have ran diesles for a long time so have something to compare it to. B4 to be clear,no smoke/smell under power just at idle. Yes may go back to dealer for several things but need to wait until I dont need the truck for a few days.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
smells like rotten eggs almost.....yeah it stinks.....funny how my LB7 with no immision BS didnt stink but this one with all the widgetsand cat does ):h

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
smells like rotten eggs almost.....yeah it stinks.....funny how my LB7 with no immision BS didnt stink but this one with all the widgetsand cat does ):h

Good luck :)
Noticed that on mine also, even worse since the cat got lost.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
mine got better when I pitched it? Seemed to lessen though as I got some miles on it....at first :bleah:

·
Registered
345 Posts
RAT, did you try any kind of a code blocker when you ditched the cat or do you have the light on?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Actually, GM has some PI about smoke after extended idling saying that it can be normal. I wouldn't say that the tuner cured it just yet, give it a bit and see if it stays away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I agree, Ill keep an eye on it and let you all know. The thing is my truck never ran as well as some others I have drove, sounded different didnt get quite as good of mileage didnt pull as hard etc. Just sorta a average dog I guess. At any rate the new program seems to make it run and smell better, locals must think Im nuts for sniffin around in the rear of the truck? DPP, my bud is wating for the edge, hes sorta affraid of crashing the ECM with a loader and thinks the dealer can tell if the software has been changed. We'll see.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
No code or SES light with was supprising. Ran around with just a 4" catless front pipe(no muffler or tail). Back to stock now......still debating if I'm going to try and finish my install or just sell the system? Think I had 2k miles or so like that and I ran the piss outa it, plowed snow, drove around town, lotsa WOT passes, cruised downthe interstat.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
your truck dont sound right......make em fix it. JMO :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
TubeKing, the new Edge should be out real soon, also the new PDA docking station. The gauges that appear on the PDA look just like the A2. I saw it last weekend at a trade show, and its very nice. I just sold my Bullydog outlook...gonna get the Chameleon setup. I use a custom flash tuner and its been to the dealer twice for stupid stuff and they cant find any traces of my tuner after I remove it. They know I have one, and keep trying to find a sign. They dont care that I have it, just want to find it. Shop sup says 50% off on his tuner if he can find mine. lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont want get on a big BD kiss'a thon here but I picked up 1.7 + MPG after the tune on my typical 130 mi round trip. 19.96 MPG hand calc with 35"s at 61 mph. Best ever for this truck, (18.8 once, typ 17.5) was best prior babying it with the stock 245's on. I Have a 300mi + trip sunday, it'll be interesting to see if the numbers hold up, or if this was a fluke.

·
Registered
158 Posts
TubeKing: How was your trip? Did your fuel millage stay the same? It is typical for a tuner to add fuel savings to a truck If your not constantly hammering the crap out of it. Thank god for the Pro-Comp tire sale. My truck only has 12k miles and Im ready for new rears. The fronts look great lol. My fuel millage has stayed about the same as before, but my tires are paying dearly.

I would aslo say when you decide to add exhaust and Intake you may even see another mile per gallon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea they are still up there I would say. Ran 277 Mi at 68-70 Mph no load, open bed, W/plowframe, no plow. W/ 315/70/17 Tires. Got 18.81 MPG hand calc, All things considered on winter fuel I think thats good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts