Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 lly thats getting a rcd 6 lift on ,and im having 17x9 with 34 bf/at put on. Do you guys see a big loss in power with the bigger tires, and lift kit. Also is it ok to still pull trailers, and haul stuff around. I use my truck everyday, and dont want to have any problems. tHANKS

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Haul away. 6" kits sometimes hurt with some 5th wheel towing but shoudn't have any affect on gooseneck or bumper hitches.

To clarify with 5th wheel.... problems usually are clearance issues betwen trailer and top of bed rails

I have 4" rancho and 35" tires, haul whatever wherever

·
Registered
95 Posts
do a rear gear to match tire size difference and have fun...of course raised height has handling differences which would affect stability while towing and spring systems are generally softer w/ lift kits....may sag easier than stock but nothing that you can't fix

·
Registered
116 Posts
I tow all kinds of loads from light to very heavy. These trucks have enough power that it is just not a problem. The programmers more than make up for the slight power loss of the big tires. RPM is quite low when pulling big loads at fairly low speeds, so it will shift down a little more, but it is just not a problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Take some pics when your done I thinking about doing the same thing and have the same concerns.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Didn't realize the effects on torque the larger tires would have when I got my 4" lift.

I'm towing a pretty heavy trailer WW LE3905 so, I added . . . well, see my sig below.

I definitely slow down over the big hills. I don't think I'ld suggest the 6" with 35" tires unless you want to change out your gearing. I don't want to go there. It's very expensive with a 4X4 as you have to do the front and the back.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
With the power these trucks have, there is really no need for a gearing change unless you go bigger than 35" tires. A 3.73 gear ration and ample horsepower is enough to pull even larger trailers steady, w/o constant downshifting...My $.02

Goog luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Your big loss with be MPG!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im alittle worried about MPG but im going to get a chip which i hope will help with that. O yea i got 17X9 with 34

·
Registered
311 Posts
id rather get a tranny upgrade and a programmer then waste it on gears...i have 37's and my buddy has 40's and we have no problems at all with power with stock gearing....mpg Censored i dont wanna talk about,,lol

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
do a rear gear to match tire size difference and have fun...of course raised height has handling differences which would affect stability while towing and spring systems are generally softer w/ lift kits....may sag easier than stock but nothing that you can't fix
If it is a 4x4, the front gears also must be changed if the rears are changed!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am running 275 65R20 Goodyears that are 34" tall. Towing I actually get better economy with the taller tire than I did with the 305 50R20's that I ran for a little while. Just kept the speed to 65 or under. I pull a 35' 5th wheel trailer that weighs just under 12,000# loaded.

WIth the 6" lift, I would be concerned with bedrail clearance and not the loss of power...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Another factor is how far your towing duties will be, and what terrain your towing in. Towing from NC. to Baja is very different than towing from AZ. to glamis. I pulled 10K cross country with 35's and a 6". Personally, I did not like the results. You can use a programmer to add power, but this does not erase the fact of your vehicle seeing a lower rpm of usage vs. speed seen from gear to gear. EGT's were far higher in my case. I think a 4" and 34's is no big deal for your truck as most 34" tires are nowhere close in height.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've got 285's on my truck and I noticed a fair drop in power when towing heavy (20k+ GCW) through mountain passes. I stopped at 285's (basically 33's) and the green key lift so I could still use a goose neck in the future, and glad I did. Of course, as stated here, towing through the mid-west would be a different issue.

--Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts