Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have an idea how much power is lost per 1000 feet of elevation in a turbo diesel? I think its about 1.5%. I know is about 3 to 3.5 % in a non turbo vehicle. I definitely feel a power increase when i'm closer to sea level. Exhaust temps are much higher at high elevation as well because of the thinner air. Any body know the formula? Even at high altitude, gotta love those super diesels.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You shouldn't lose any peak power until you get to an altitude to where the wastegate no longer opens. You will loose power up to the point the wastegate opens as it of course takes more fuel and RPM to get to the wastegate opening point. Sorry I don't know a formula. I believe it would be different for different turbo equipped engines though. I believe that only normally aspirated engines would all follow the same curve.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I really appreciate the power of a turbo diesel towing in the mountains of Colorado. Big difference between my old 01 8.1L and the 03 dmax climbing the passes.

I don't know the formula either, sorry..

Bob

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Ya, just dinking along at 65 or so I was seeing 800-900* at about 10000 feet.

Kinda wierd.

I cant say I noticed any loss at all after boost came up. (which took longer)

·
Registered
958 Posts
I noticed that my truck felt much more sluggish than normal while going through Colorado, I thought something was wrong with it until I realized I was at a mile high elevation. It's so flat coming out of Kansas and heading for Wyoming that the elevation is deceptive. While pulling away from the toll plazas I had my foot buried and it felt like what a bit over half throttle feels like at home (sea level).

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
The general rule fo thumb is for every 1000' of altitude a N/A engine loses 5%-7% of its Brake specific output.

Turbo engines in general lose between .5-1.5% of their brake specific output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts