Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question in the main forum a couple days ago about switching to synthetic oil at 30K miles. The reason I asked this is because my oil looks much more black than ever before and earlier in the life of the oil. I am currently running Mobil Delvac 1300 and change every 3000 miles.

During that conversation it was mentioned that programs could trash the oil? This is something new to me and I wanted to understand this better which hopefully will enable me to make a better decision as to what type (not brand) of oil to run etc...

With my stock truck ('02, no-EGR, no-CAT, 30K miles), the oil wouldn't appear black on the dipstick at all throughout the entire 3000 mile oil cycle. When I changed it, it was definitely black, but it didn't look black on the dipstick.

Now, about a month ago I added a Quad 135 power box. I run it in the 110hp setting since I don't have gauges, have stock air box, have stock exhaust (no CAT), no trailers, no long grades, etc... There seems to be a direct correlation between adding a power box and the color of the oil. I have only 1200 miles on the oil and it's black on the dipstick, I mean really black, to the point I think I need to change it now at 1200 miles.

So my concern is that I may be hurting my engine (not just the oil) by running a power box to start with and second that maybe I should be using a different type (i.e. synthetic) of oil or oil filtration setup. On the other thread, it was noted I should think about using Schaeffer's or a good C4 oil etc... Mobil Delvac 1300 is rated CI-4. The only real question then is should I go with Mobil Delvac 1, the full synthetic version that costs 4x as much just to run 3000 miles on it?

I hadn't planned on adding a bypass filter setup but perhaps running a box it's a must (or at least a should) install item. Is this the case? How many people out there have a power-box and have an oil bypass setup? What would the dealer think about that the next time I go in for warranty service? I am already holding my breath with the pre-OEM fuel filter setup I have on it and it's also the main reason I have not installed gauges. Dealers know gauges are there because you are running a chip. Maybe they can't prove it's there but they know it's there. And the dealers hold all the cards when it comes to your warranty, period.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Here is my take......Box adds fuel. More fuel gets into the crank case mostly as soot. More soot=shorter oil life. Just my take. I am going Schaffers and a fairly short drain intervall. If I didnt have a box I would go extended. Oil analysis is the real way to know the condition of the oil but at 20$ a whack i am too cheap and will just change often.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Basically the more smoke you see coming out the exhaust the dirtier your oil and thus your engine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
ratlover's got it IMHO. I run synthetic in everthing but Diesels. My opinion is that you should change Diesel oil more often as it get's sooted up long before it begins to break down. IMHO the main benefit of syn oils in a daily driver is it's extended drain intervals, without a bypass filter I'm not comfortable with long drain intervals in a Diesel, plus the extra capicity of a Diesel run's the price up.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
a64pilot said:
ratlover's got it IMHO. I run synthetic in everthing but Diesels. My opinion is that you should change Diesel oil more often as it get's sooted up long before it begins to break down. IMHO the main benefit of syn oils in a daily driver is it's extended drain intervals, without a bypass filter I'm not comfortable with long drain intervals in a Diesel, plus the extra capicity of a Diesel run's the price up.

I change my oil every 100 hours of operation or 3000 miles...........

I have 28,500 miles and 1033 hours. I have changed my oil ( actually dealer changed ) 9 times already...........

It is cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

I have run a power box since 7K miles..........

I am not worried,

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
218 Posts
To give an idea of what happens to a motor that has the fuel turned up, I had a f250 with a banks, I had the fuel turned up so much it was flowing out the exhaust. At 250,000 I had a head gasket problem and yanked the motor apart. We mic'd the crank and pistons and had damn near zero wear on the crank and only .003 taper on the piston skirts or was it the cylinder walls?..I can't remember but the acceptable max was .006. Changed my oil every 4,000 miles. The guy who tore the engine down thought I'd had it rebuilt. The tranny(standard) was plum wore out,transfer case same. Your engine life can be rated by how many Lbs. of fuel you run through it. Put the fuel to it and you'll get less miles out of it. Your sweet new truck that you think will last forever will be junk in 6-7 years and the motor will still be running fine, with or without a chip. You'll be fine with it chipped, and you'll be 100% happyier for the next 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually what I don't understand is how fuel is getting into the crankcase as soot? I don't have an EGR valve, how is this possible? Is it all blow-by then?

And yes, I get a **LOT** of smoke when I go through the gears always around 2000rpm's WOT. This is on the Quad 135 @ the 110hp setting. Is this normal? I have the ZF/6, so when I start out in 2nd, bring her up to 2500 or so, jam it in 3rd, bring it up 2500 or so again, then 4th, and I'm sailin but man-o-man is there a black smoke trail behind me and every single time I do that, I leave a massive smoke trail behind me, I mean smoke like you see at the truck pulls at the county fair black smoke. It's cool an all, but I surely hope I ain't hurtin anything.

What's interesting is with all this extra fuel being used by the box is that it improved my mileage. I can go through the gears, leave a black smoke trail, and still manage 19MPG mileage in the city. How is this possible? Same fuel, same station, same driving areas, and driving harder than ever. I was getting 17.5-18 before the box.

I am very confused about all this. I *REALLY* like the Quad power box, it is just simply awesome. I only hope I am not hurting my engine (or truck). The clutch, well, hey that's a wear item anyway ain't it? Anybody can change a clutch, well, almost anybody...

I am thinking I will stick with Mobil Delvac 1300 and start changing every 2000 miles instead of 3000 and do a couple oil analysis to see what the oil story is. I assume the oil analysis will tell me all about soot levels as well. I also assume high sooty oil is bad on the engine. What happens when the oil has absorbed all the soot it can?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Creeping by rings as blow by .... Every combustible engine has gasses entering the crankcase by the compression rings .... Hence the need for ventilation .....Ever see that sooty vent tube ??

Mac

·
Registered
704 Posts
I ran the 110hp setting for several thousand miles and I never saw such clean oil when it was time to change. Now I run the 135hp setting and see very little smoke, and that only when hitting it off idle.

It never seases to amaze me how similar trucks can behave so differently.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think anyone that changes their oil on a regular basis has anything to worry about. I run a TST comp box and change every 5,000 myself. I just wouldn't run a box with syn oil and without bypass filteration and change say every 40,000 or 50,000 myself, even though I know people that do.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ratlover said:
Here is my take......Box adds fuel. More fuel gets into the crank case mostly as soot. More soot=shorter oil life. Just my take. I am going Schaffers and a fairly short drain intervall. If I didnt have a box I would go extended. Oil analysis is the real way to know the condition of the oil but at 20$ a whack i am too cheap and will just change often.

Schaeffers runs their own oil analysis program and its $7.50 each.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
no kidding......I will have to check into that. Thanks

Any one have experience with these guys test oil? 7.50 is a deal even if I gota pay shipping

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I had their testing done on oil before but it was in semis.

Used to buy 30 gal. drums of the 7000 oil and got 6 free oil tests/ drum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts