Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done this? Was thinking about it if it could be done.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Yes, it can be done. Don't think it will hold up to well to the tire machine though. There are "no-touch" tire machines out there in case you do this.

Please post pics, I haven't see it done yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had an extra set of rims for my truck that I had taken to a powder coater. Here's how they turned out. They lasted about 1 month on my truck before I decided that bigger tires were needed for the look I was after. The rims had to be etched then blasted to powder coat. I'm looking to sell if someone really wants them....

Dave

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Think they would look real good if you had them the same color as your truck .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Are you talking about powder coating your aluminum rims? I have never seen anyone do that before. I have done some steel wheels, but not aluminum. That is a personal choice thing, but if I paid for the alums, I wouldn't powder coat them that is for sure. I like the gleam of them in stock form. Steels, you bet, I would powder coat them.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
GM wants to paint mine. Clear coat peelin off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Here it is...

That looks awesome!

I have done steels on a Toyota they held up very well.

I have a set of 7" steels from a 3500 SRW at the powdercoaters right now. They are being done in gloss black.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The lightweight forged aluminum factory wheels are too nice to powder coat. I'd buy an extra set of steel wheels and do them and use the same center caps. The thing with painting or powder coating anything black is that beyond 10' or so distance you just lose all the detail, whereas if left polished, you can still see the detail. The lack of attractive detail with a steel wheel can be hidden with the black, though. Just my $0.10 worth.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The lightweight forged aluminum factory wheels are too nice to powder coat. I'd buy an extra set of steel wheels and do them and use the same center caps. The thing with painting or powder coating anything black is that beyond 10' or so distance you just lose all the detail, whereas if left polished, you can still see the detail. The lack of attractive detail with a steel wheel can be hidden with the black, though. Just my $0.10 worth.
I have seen these wheels where the clear coating starts to peel and corrosion gets under it. I personally would only powder coat them if it came to this point. My wheels don't seem to have the clear coating ('05). Is this an early model thing? Or are they all clear-coated?

·
Registered
122 Posts
My '05 has clear coated wheels and compared to a set of uncoated forged aluminum wheels, they are so much easier to clean and look just as nice and stay that way longer. My uncoated forgings have been a pain in the neck (and hands and knees and back and fingers).

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My '05 has clear coated wheels and compared to a set of uncoated forged aluminum wheels, they are so much easier to clean and look just as nice and stay that way longer. My uncoated forgings have been a pain in the neck (and hands and knees and back and fingers).
You need a powered polisher... Makes quick work of it and saves your hands, knees, back, fingers, & neck. After polishing, put on a couple coats of wax. You are right, virgin polished aluminum won't stay that way long.

You will be disgusted -:t if (and when) the corrosion gets under the clear coating. Your only option is to remove the coating and polish them, (or powder coat :D ).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hope that day (if/when clear coat comes off) never comes. What do a set of factory wheels look like that have been powder coated the color of silver? I'm on the fense with black, but like the polished all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts