Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 LBZ with about 14,000+ miles. I have been taking my truck to local service company that performed some mods - AFE stage 2 filter, Edge Juice w/Attitude, and a 5" MBRP exhaust system.

When I had my last oil change, I also had them clean my AFE filter for the first time. At the time, it seemed like they did a quality job. Subsequently, I found that they misinstalled the AFE filter and it fell off. I believe I was running it without the filter installed for two to three weeks.

After the oil change, I noticed a significant loss in fuel economy and returned to the place where I had the oil change - the mis-applied filter was discovered at this time, but their diagnosis was a clogged fuel filter.

Since this time, I have noticed increase EGTs, reduced boost, and further reduced fuel economy. I have reached out to other diesel professionals in the area and they believe I either have an obstruction or the turbo has been dammaged and unable to spool like it used to.

I would be appreciative of any insights you folks may have - I am going to take my rig to ATS Diesel Performance in the Denver area for a diagnosis after the Christmas holiday, but would appreciate any thoughts in the mean time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
x2 on the warranty. I would first take the AFE off and Install the stock filter system back on, just to be on the safe side. If the turbo is damaged it will cost big buck to replace it unless its done under warranty.

Also do some reasearch on here reguarding after market intakes. Studies have shown them to only give about a true 4 hp increase if any and they allow more debris to be pulled into the turbo. On an LBZ engine the stock filter flows better than most aftermarket intakes anyway. Its really your choice though but with the LBZ you dont need it.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
if the intake come loss ofter the MAF sensor the ECM is not "seeing" all the air that is coming in. you will get a loss of mpg as well

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
I'm not saying you could throw rocks into the turbo, but the lack of an aircleaner will most-likely not damage the Turbo. However, the ingested dirt will scour the cylinder walls and lower the compression and increase blow-by.
How much damage is there???? I strongly suggest you have the engine oil sampled now, and then again in 3000 miles or so. A reputable lab will show if dirt made it to the oil and what else is going on in there. If you're not having trouble starting the truck, most likely there is no damage, as cold starting is the first place compression loss will show up.

Also, the lack of an aircleaner may warrant cleaning of the MAF sensor assy. So does an over-oiled AFE cleaner. That can also be the economy drop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine appears to work fine, starts right up and it's fairly cold here now (around 11F this morning) - I'm kinda thinking that is unlikely or I would have likely seen other issues.

The MAF sensor is an interesting thought - I had not considered that, but I think it unlikely as I would not have seen an increase in the EGTs. IMO, I think the air is just not getting in there.

The warranty is still an option - not looking to take on the turbo myself out of my own pocket.

Good thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Why Warranty it? The shop who installed the parts should be fixing it. If the turbo or motor is damaged from your shop why make GM pay?:rolleyes:
Do you have a boost guage? Is it making lower boost? Could the intercooler be blocked up?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just cant see having major turbo damage in a couple weeks. I vote for trash on the sensor causing the vanes to boost slower as less or more air is seen by the sensor.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
on this one, GM wouldn't be at fault. I would be getting the shop that cleaned and re-installed the filter, incorrectly, pay for it. They should pay for all tests and any repairs needed. It wasn't GM's mistake. Plus if something is found in there, they will know if you ran it without a filter as there is no way anything can get in there with the stock fiter in place.

·
Registered
572 Posts
coloradosmoker,
Don't take this the wrong way, but to have the least amount of problems you're best off doing your own work on your truck, asking questions and reading this forum. AFE filter gives no gains and only adds problems with oil messing up the MAF. Edge juice has had some wierd problems in the past especially in wet conditions. The exhaust is fine. If you are pretty handy all the things done to your truck could probably have been done by you and you would have saved money too.
First if you aren't gonna do your own work find a new shop.
Second ditch the AFE and go back to stock air intake.
Third remove edge and see how the truck runs incase of a problem with the unit.
ATS will be a better choice for work on your truck and while it's there look into EFI live instead of the Edge

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
on this one, GM wouldn't be at fault. I would be getting the shop that cleaned and re-installed the filter, incorrectly, pay for it. They should pay for all tests and any repairs needed. It wasn't GM's mistake. Plus if something is found in there, they will know if you ran it without a filter as there is no way anything can get in there with the stock fiter in place.
X2 this is the reason GM wants to void everyones warranty who's truck isn't stock. You paid for the mods out of your pocket then you should also pay for the repairs if the shop won't.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
X2 this is the reason GM wants to void everyones warranty who's truck isn't stock. You paid for the mods out of your pocket then you should also pay for the repairs if the shop won't.
I also agree with GM not being responsible for an after market filter falling off. As stated I would clean the MAF sensor, do a complete ECM reset (codes or not), and re install the OEM air filter which performs better than the others anyway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There once was a guy......no...not a Nantucket rhyme...who ran a 6.5 turbo diesel around for over 2 years with nothing...no filter tube...no filter...:confuzeld Even though we all told him not to. That same truck sat outside....without a hood and without any protection to the turbo for over a year prior waiting to be fixed from being wrecked.

Needless to say I've known both owners since then....and it's still worked fairly hard everyday. I have no idea how it's still alive because it's been over 5 years. I'd say that you're okay....it sucks that it happened...but unless you sucked up some mega-mutant alien bugs up you should be fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
two things now that its colder out the refinerys cut the fuel with kero , by doing this your fuel economy will drop 2 mpg EVERY winter ! second try cleaning your mass air flow sensor it in the intake tube right after the airfilter . Lectraclean or spray with with starting fluid , DONT clean it in the tube remove it ! DONT run the motor untill all the solvent is gone. Also for a piece of mind clean out the intake tubes with a white paper towel , if you have snow on the ground chance are not much dust went into the motor . Air filters are so important I dont let any one clean mine , never mind some 18 year old kid that cant afford to fix his 20 year old car.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds like MAF sensor error.. Get some MAF spray, clean off the MAF sensor, put filter back on and drive some more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took it to ATS here in Denver - turns out to be a fuel issue. No scoring on the turbo and spools just fine. Something that we have to deal with running diesel in winter. Apparently, during the refining process, more fuel oil is made for heating (which is very similar to diesel fuel), so diesel gets more additives than normal to extend it. The only recommendation I've received to date is to use a cetane enhancer additive to the fuel during winter months.

Appreciate the insights - thought the problem was more mechanical in nature - apparently not.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
How much do you know about diesels? You should be running a anti gel in the winter it doesn't matter if its a cetane enhancer or not

One word, Bio Diesel!! :p:

Oh yes and that would do wonders for the fuel gelling.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
using Stanadyne Performance Enhancer - cetane and anti-gel'ing - any recommendations you might have would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Stanadyne is great stuff. That's all I recommend. If you need and run out of it, in a pinch you can use Diesel Power Service. Just make sure any additives have no alcohol in them.

There was an old bulletin or letter from GM, years ago, only recommending the usage of Stanadyne or Racor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts