Diesel Place banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just got the aforementioned yokohama geolander a/t-s's on the truck last night to replace the cooper discovere at-3's that, despite having about a 1/4" of tread left were the most useless truck tire I have ever had in the winter. the yoko's are very impressive int he snow. Almost as good as the silent armors's were but with better handling. I would say the yoko's new handling is right in between the instability of the silent armors (being the worst) and the discoverer at-3's (the best). In my experience of course. It seems instability and great winter traction go hand in hand for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had hankook Dynapro MT's on my 95 Z71 and they were all over the place for nearly 5K miles and still wobbled to 10K, that truck had a polaris 800 in the bed and a trailer of supplies behind it so it wasnt due to not enough weight.

Duratracs I had before that took ~500 miles to stiffen up. Would have bought another set but I was in BFE and stuck stumps in 2 side walls and had to get home.

My Mickey ATZ's on the Dmax were pretty squirelly at first then I loaded my tractor behind it had solved it the next day lol.

Coopers werent bad at all, maybe around 500 to settle in.

Silent armors took around 1,000-1500 to settle down and lasted 60K and I still have them as spares. (bought a new set of wheels and kept them mounted)

Firestone transforce never wobbled but i hated the lack of traction after you passed 3/4 tread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had 265 75 16 terra grapplers on the pyos for my lly and they squirmed for about 1000 miles. put 305 65 17 bfg ats on h2s and they were great from day one. After that, put on toyo mts in the 295 70 17s and they were all over the place for about 2500 miles.

My dad put atms on his lb7 and they have been awful. 285 70 17s on h2s. He cant wait to toss those. By far the worst.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good thread wish I found this. I thought I was going to die yesterday.

Here's what I wrote yesterday. In the md truck section

Ok so after going round and round about learning truck tires I bought a set of four continental HDR "drive" tires. 255 70 22.5. For the rear duals. I drove a half mile to the highway and took the cornered on ramp.

The truck felt like a sea snake or like I was on ice or drunk.

Scared the crap out of me. Got right off the highway and checked the lug nuts all good so I called the tire shop. The guy told me because the lugs are tall and its brand new they need to wear in. As a former mechanic I've heard this but never experienced it this bad.
I hooked up my 16 ft trailer and drove about 100 miles. Was even worse fish tailing down the highway.

Top speed was sixty on a strait flat no crown section of road

Anyone else run continentals??
Anyone else had this problem??

The shop said drive them for a week and if I still wasn't comfortable he would gladly switch them to a rib or steer tire.

Anxiously waiting so I don't crash and kill myself. Or soil my self and or cry because I spent 2200$

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stock Duraviss tires wore out so I thought I would upgrade to some Michelins. LTX M/S2's with the green tread technology. They were horribly squirrely. Drove them for 1000 miles took them back and exchanged them for original equipment Bridgestone Duraviss and squirrlyness dissapeared IMMEDIATELY although they have a harsher ride than the soft Michelins.
I could not be happier.
My wife's car has Michelin's on her Escape and they are great tires but those M/S 2's that I got for my truck sucked. I heard they still sell the original M/S's and there supposedly solid tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Put Dynatrac pd 890 open shoulder on the rear a couple weeks ago. Talk about some white knuckles and brown shorts. Doesn't help that i95 is groved right now going through town. Seems to be getting better after 600 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed LT265/70R16 General Grabber X3's on 09 Ram2500. Vehicle floated all over the place. Had an identical truck with well worn tires, installed them on 09, went down road perfect. Vehicle now has Toyo Open Country A/T 3's, still all over the place. I'll wait till i get some miles on them, then report back

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires. Those ones felt like that for about 1500 miles. After that they started getting a lot better. They were 265/75/16 mounted on pyo's. Pretty crazy feeling for sure.
Same tires, Same rims, same problem. Had those on my 04. Kind of scary when you turn the wheel and go straight.
Oh Crap!! I just realized that this thread was resurrected from 8 years ago.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.