Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that after reading so many people having issues with tread squirm on new tires, it would be good to have a data base on which tires and sizes are problematic.

So, post your size and tire type that you had that eery feeling of tread squirm when new, what it felt like and how long it took to go away.

I will start from way back: 20 years ago I bought a new set of 255/85/16 remington wide brutes, mounted on steel 16x6.5 wheels on a 1970 blazer with a swapped in 6.2 diesel and one ton running gear. The tires scared the crap out of me! I was traveling through N. Ca. from Sacramento to Willits via hiway 20, a winding road. I went into a turn at about 50 mph and it felt like the tires just let go of the road. I stopped, checked the air pressure, all at 50 psi, so I raised it to 60 psi. Went around another turn at about 50 mph and about soiled myself. Finally I figured out that it was the rubber in the tread that hadn't had enough time to fully harden and the tread was laying over (squirming) it wasn't a sidewall issue, just the flex of the tread. It took about 1000 miles and it was gone. Not a good feeling though. I haven't had another set of tires do that to me since, but I am hearing more and more about other people experiencing it. I have heard about a lot of issues with Goodyear Duratracks doing this.

So let's hear what you have to tell.

·
Super Moderator
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This condition can sometimes be worse with tires that are fresh as opposed to tires that have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for 6 months. Something to due with the way the rubber cures. I have heard tell that if you could let a set of tires age before installing them, the tire would last longer. I don't know if this is true or not, but typically if you were to measure how hard the rubber is on any given tire, it will be harder as it gets older.

I have run many tires that haven't exibited tread squirm: Dick Cepek Fun Country II, Mickey Thompson MTZ, General Grabber A/T2, Michelin M-S2, Nitto Terra Grappler, Firestone Transforce A/t to name a few.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.