Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm pretty much sold on the Husky Liners, but before I go drop a bunch on it I was wondering what you guys have experienced with your gates and this one in particular. I only know of a few out there, so I'm open to suggestions. I really don't want a plastic one, and I'd like it to still drop with a handle as this one does.

Thanks a lot!
-Ryan

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't use a 5th wheel tailgate. I had one on my last truck and didn't like the way it looked. I use the stock tailgate with VR straps and an Easylift spring. I also have a Truxedo roll-up tonneau cover--when I'm not hitched, I'm buttoned up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use the oem tailgate also. Need to lower the gate to hook up the electrical anyway. Been hauling a 5th wheel for 6+ years and never thought a special gate was worth it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using the stock gate for 2 years now without a problem but it's just a huge pain as I usually hook my trailer alone at night before I go pick up my buddies for a race. The more of a one man show it is the better for my sanity. I've had friends mess up and I have the gate dropping on my up my street lol

The electrical I can get at from the ground so that's not a problem for me. I have a car trailer, not sure if it's the same for a camper or not.

What's funny is I'll never justify spending the money on a gate, and it's not getting any easier seeing that people don't use them haha

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just remove the tail gate to tow. Never forget to lay it down or put it up and it's never in the way. Easier to reach in from the back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just remove the tail gate to tow. Never forget to lay it down or put it up and it's never in the way. Easier to reach in from the back.
Thought of that, but when I go from the track to hotels I put everyones crap in the bed lol

I have a high maintenance need I guess you could say haha

·
Registered
767 Posts
I run the factory gate as well. Been pulling the 5ver for 9 years now and no issues to date.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not that I have issues at all, I think I'm just going to prefer a louvered gate. But the Husky isn't worth the money to see if I like the idea! :p:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a louvered gate for my last truck and have not purchased one for this truck yet. I think it offers a good compromise between taking your stock gate off and leaving it on. With a louvered gate you get better air flow and can still put a few things in the bed behind the hitch.

When I am going camping it is almost always in unimproved areas and I take a shovel, axe and rake as well as a lot of fire wood. The tools used to go behind the louvered gate and now I have to leave my tail gate on. (just haven't had the $$ to spend on a gate).

I do take my gate off if I am not taking as much stuff. Bottom line is I think it air flows better with no gate at all. But if you must used one the louvered is a good middle ground.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have been looking for one also, but I need one that is going to be able to be laid down and stand a 4 wheeler parked on it. I don't think I have seen one yet that is strong enough for that, so I am probably going to just fab one out of my 1.75" DOM tubing that I built the rollcage in my rock crawler with.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used a louvered gate on the 2005 I had but I took it off. did not like the looks of it, it was too flimsy to put anything on it like ramps for ATV and after reading several studies on airflow...found that a standard tailgate is better for mileage, something about forming an air bubble in the bed. Do haul a 5th wheel and just drop the gate to hook-up, knock on would, no mistakes yet. when not on the hook I keep the tonneau cover on

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I take the OEM gate off and lay it flat across the back of the bed. Out of the way, and don't have a problem putting it down if I'm not square with the trailer after backing into a site. If we're there for more than a couple of days, gate goes back on and my Retrax closes things up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thought of that, but when I go from the track to hotels I put everyones crap in the bed lol

I have a high maintenance need I guess you could say haha
Did the no tailgate for 5 years before picking up a Custom Flow V gate off Craigs list. Any thing that I put in the bed I put in front of a 2X10 across the bed in front of the wheel wells, or was tied down. Have also seen the 2X8 across at the back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
X2, i like the security when not towing. poses a bit of a problem due to having to connect and disconnect in bad angles on my driveway, but if my wife or kids aren't there to watch my gate, i just take my time hooking up. I have a turn over-ball adapter and needs to be nearly spot on. so in and out of the cab a few times till is right. i should get a miror so I can see it from the cab. Maybe a back up cam in the bed???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.