Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to install the post OEM CAT fuel filter setup on my 03 D-Max.

Since the OEM has a built in fuel heater, will I loose to much of the heated fuel after flowing through the CAT?

With weather here a couple days ago at -37'C or -35'F, what effect will my starting or anything else have with the heated fuel going through the CAT first before the engine?

Does anyone know if a seperate fuel heater is available for the post OEM CAT setup? Or if I would even require one?

Any ideas would be apreciated..............

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have a post OEM Mega and haven't had any fuel temp problems ... but then, hasn't ever gotten down to -37
in these parts

Jim

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
KevTech said:
Since the OEM has a built in fuel heater, will I loose to much of the heated fuel after flowing through the CAT?

My OEM has a built in fuel heater????

It went from almost 70 degrees to 0 degrees here in KC last week. I was off work and didnt even think about adding anything to the fuel to prevent jelling. Sure enough, my truck would not start that cold morning.

Took a HD blow dryer to the filter and lines to get it running. Temp. unplugged the juice just to make sure it was not the problem.

So if my OEM has a heater, why did it jell up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I presumed that our trucks already came with a built in fuel heater at the filter. When following the excellent instructions by dmaxalliTech on how to change the stock fuel filter the following was listed in the instructions:

"Disconnect the two electrical connections, ther are attached to the valve cover with a flexible metal support, the top connector is the WIF sensor & the bottom one is the fuel heater"

As posted in:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1579&KW=fuel+filter+change

Now being that weather here last week was -35'F & my truck would start with me forgetting to plug in & using no fuel additives, I would be surprised if the fuel was not heated.

Can anyone confirm if our fuel is already being heated at or near the filter?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
yes our OEM system has a fuel heater... are you using winter blend diesel or something that is from a storage tank from summer perhaps?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The OEM has a heater element in the filter head, but that's a LOOONG way from the fuel tank and if you're close to the gel point of untreated fuel you've got waxing in the tank, in the fuel lines along the DS frame rail, in the hoses and FICMs atop the engine BEFORE you get to that little heater. The fuel in the filter and short run to the injection pump will be warmed and that may give you a start, but the filter head heater can't "flash melt" all that waxy goo that's going to start sucking up fast enough to maintain flow. Once you get it flowing, the FICM heat, engine compartment heat and recirculated fuel might warm everything up, but getting it going and up to temp is the problem.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Diesel Power said:
yes our OEM system has a fuel heater... are you using winter blend diesel or something that is from a storage tank from summer perhaps?

Learn something new everyday. I fill up about once a week at the local Flying J so I would hope they are on their winter blend. Pluse since then I have added some Power Service winter additive.

I spent a lot of time heating the filter with the heat gun and it did not help until I got under the truck and started working warming up the lines.

Once going it did fine until I went to work the next day in +4 degree weather. It started but it took 2 or 3 10 sec cranks to fire up.

Of course I waited until the glow plug light went out, would it be wise to let it set for a minute or so after the glow plug light goes out to help it start.

Does the filter heater work 24/7 or only with the ignition on?

THANKS for the replys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts