Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible in the LLY? I was snooping over at TDIclub and read that it is possible to disable EGR in the TDI's. Done by using VAGCOM(software?) to alter some parameter within the ECU. Apparently a very popular mod with those guys. Not an issue for me as I've got an '01, but wondered if any of the LLY folks have looked into it.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
i know it can be done on LB7 Dmax w/EGR but don't know about LLY.. on my LB7, EGR is only on at idle and small amounts of part throttle.. once i gas it it never comes back on until i get out of the gas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rocksam,

From what I gather they disable it because over time soot builds up in the intake, requiring a periodic cleaning. I don't know if this will be a problem in the LLY, I guess time will tell

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know for a fact that the EGR combined with the oily vapors from the CCV system will sludge and clog the intake. I have a VW TDI and have already had the intake cleaned out with only 35,000 miles on it.

I am VERY interested in finding a way to reduce or eliminate the EGR from working. (disclaimer - I only plan to drive off-road with this disabled)

·
Registered
233 Posts
If the EGR valve is vacuum operated, you could just block the vacuum line to it. We used to put a ball bearing or small marble the the EGR vacuum lines on the gassers. It is then very easy to remove the ball bearing when its time for the state inspection...

(disclaimer - we only did this when we were planning to drive offroad)

·
Registered
994 Posts
There are diagnostic routines that run checking for proper EGR operation. Part of the OBDII stuff. Just blocking vacuum lines or the exhaust gas port would only result in a code being set and your yellow SES light coming on.

You would have to disable EGR operation in the ECM program itself. If it is not commanded on, then the diagnostic routines would be checking to make sure it is off.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
479 Posts
well then - who has the programmer to "help" us out here?? Will any of the aftermarket programmers have a "tool" to help us off-roaders?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
i don't think you will find anyone to disable EGR for you due to liability.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It takes some of the exhaust gas and diverts it back into the intake. It is bad enough in a gas engine and in my opinion, crazy for a diesel. You oughta see a gas engine intake at 120000 miles downstream from the EGR valve and then mulitply the soot by about 50. I honestly don't know how the engine will continue to operate effeciently without a complete expensive dissassembly and clean of the intake area every so often. The tops of the valves get coated, the intake sensors get coated, and I wonder how the turbo and intercooler will survive. HMMM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for the reply and thorough explanation. You guys are great here. Ive been on other forums where newbs like me were treated horribly for questions like the ones I have been asking the last couple days. You guys are awesomeEdited by: newuser

1 - 12 of 12 Posts