• If 1-4 chosen, is it worth $2000-$3000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intercooler test numbers: (based on Cummins 24v unit)

1) 70% reduction in volume

2) 30% increased air flow

3) 100-200 degree decrease in EGT's

The three advantages listed above resulted in a significant change in throttle response. Boost was only increased 3-5 lbs (due to less pressure drop) but "lag" was almost completely eliminated. The increased air flow also provided lesser EGT's under load. The Air to Water design also reduced "heat soak" to the intercooler experienced when under load for long periods of time, especially when high speeds were not possible.

Posted below:

The intercooler is designed around a patented Swedish made laminar flow tube. Water flows thru small jackets that run along the inside of the tube and the air flows across the tube thru fins. There are about 55 fins per inch and the tubes are 12.5" long. An electric water pump (20 gpm to 40gpm) is used to pump the water thru the intercooler and a heat exchanger mounted in the front grill. The same technology is being used with Superchargers by Cadilac, Mercedes SLR and the new Ford GT40. On a truck with an air/air intercooler this would be replaced with the heat exchanger. The volume of the water system is around 3.5-4.0 gallons, which showed in our testing to be more than enough to keep the water from getting more than 20 deg F over ambient.

We have tested the unit on a 24v Cummins with the results I described in the first post. The unit worked extremely well on a street truck. We we able to take out well over 230 deg F under full throttle runs where the air/air barely hit 200 deg F on one run. We also saw increased boost and lower EGT's with the help of 30% more air flow and 3-5 lbs less pressure drop across the air/water.

Please note this info was only to educate and inform, not say your opinions are wrong. I encourage you all to continue voting and making comments.Edited by: BGDMAX

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water is contained in it's own system with a 12v water pump doing the work. Obviously, engine coolant is NOT used as that would "preheat" the air instead of cool it.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Besides for racing or truck pulls I doubt the air/water cooler would help a daily driven working truck.

Once the water that is in the reservior is heated up by cooling down the intercooler it would probably keep the intercooler warmer than if you were running straight air through it.

Unless you have a VERY big reserviour or install another small radiator with a electric fan to dissapate the heat picked up from the intercooler.

Air/water coolers are mostly used in racing where the water is run through a ICE BOX so that it is chilled very well and only used for short durations. I know of no production cars running that set up except for maybe a porsche or 2 if that.

Most all vehicles are air/air because of the simplicity and reliable numbers produced.

Now if you could make a bigger and more efficient AIR/AIR intercooler that would be a diffrent story

My .02 Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
566 Posts
BGDMAX

I already have a solution for this problem. It's called Water Injection.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
BGDMAX said:
The water is contained in it's own system with a 12v water pump doing the work.  Obviously, engine coolant is NOT used as that would "preheat" the air instead of cool it.
Not if you were running some of the coolant through an auxilliary cooler, then to the intercooler system. I agree with DD in that this type of system just doesn't seem to sound practical for the average truck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou to all for your feedback. I feel that some of you are misunderstanding the design a little however. Let me clarify a few ideas here guys, just so you know how it works.

The intercooler is designed around a patented Swedish made laminar flow tube. Water flows thru small jackets that run along the inside of the tube and the air flows across the tube thru fins. There are about 55 fins per inch and the tubes are 12.5" long. An electric water pump (20 gpm to 40gpm) is used to pump the water thru the intercooler and a heat exchanger mounted in the front grill. On a truck with an air/air intercooler this would be replaced with the heat exchanger. The volume of the water system is around 3.5-4.0 gallons, which showed in our testing to be more than enough to keep the water from getting more than 20 deg F over ambient.

We have tested the unit on a 24v Cummins with the results I described in the first post. The unit worked extremely well on a street truck. We we able to take out well over 230 deg F under full throttle runs where the air/air barely hit 200 deg F on one run. We also saw increased boost and lower EGT's with the help of 30% more air flow and 3-5 lbs less pressure drop across the air/water.

Please note this info was only to educate and inform, not say your opinions are wrong. I encourage you all to continue voting and making comments.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always wondered what the Inlet Air Temps would be on a High HP Dmax...anyone know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts