Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was towing about 10k with the edge on level 2 nothing was ready out of the ordinary as far as guages go when there was a big "thud" and then no lockup and a CEL. It came back about 30 iles down the road. and the CEL went off. ANy clues what the problem is?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did it shift down to fourth out of fifth? I have limped it 3 times in 5th, Level 3/3 at highway speeds, I was rolling into the throttle to pass when it went BAM, shifted down to 4th, and CEL came on. Pulled over and shut down for 30sec, turned back on and shift was fine but CEL took about 10 cycles of turning it off and on to reset. I have towed combined about 18K in level 2/2 with no problems but not towing and in 3/3, all 3 times passing at highway speeds, I have limped it. codes were P0700 and P0735.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Limped mine 3 times in level 3/3 at highway speeds while rolling on the throttle to pass. I have towed 18k combined on level 2/2 with no problems. My limps were in 5th gear, loud BAM, down shift to 4th and CEL came on. Pulled over and cycled key after 30sec, shifted fine but took several more ignition cycles to clear CEL. Codes were P0700 and P0735.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This same thing happened to me last Saturday. I was in level 2 with the Juice in tow/haul mode. I was only towing a 6.6ft.X16ft. utility trailer.

Took Edge out because this is the first time this has happened to me and I usually tow more weight everyday.

Called Edge and they said it wasn't the Edge but something caused my tranny to limp.

I have 130,000 miles on mine. Think it's going out or was that just a one time thing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
MikeL advises that most likely the C3 clutch is damaged (possibly C2 & C4 as well) when you limp it. I took mine to dealor today (that installed Edge), they ofcourse checked the codes and drained the fluid. They said no color change in fluid....Blah.....Blah and so on so they think it was the Edge causing the code (no crap, can you say to much torque in 5th gear) so want to send it back to get it checked out. I advised them of all the info I had gathered (on this forum from all the knowledgeable people) and exactly what the issue was but they just don't understand I guess. They unplugged it and I didn't get to talk with them since I picked it up after they closed. I guess I will send Edge back next month to get the new updates. What I thought we had agreed upon was a tear down and inspection of the clutches and replacement if damaged but I guess they misunderstood. I guess I will just have to pay for the upgrades when I can afford it but was hoping that I wouldn't have to pay for the clutch replacement (if need be). They advised me they would warranty evrything but if they don't understand I guess it's hard.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Wow I guess some trannies limped easier than others thats for sure. Then again you have to be carefull on how you drive with the extra power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts