Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like an obvious answer here, but thought I'd ask anyway. At 12,000+ miles, my ZF is smoother (love it every day) and I'm getting lazy, I guess. I pop the shifter in neutral without using the clutch sometimes when slowing at a stop. Can't imagine that it hurts anything..., ...but ..... does it?

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Clutchless operation to disengage a gear is harmless as long as the gears are not loaded (ie not accelerating or decelerating). Now, as for shifting into gear, that another story. Both gears must be at exactly the same rpm and the shifter will fall into place under light pressure. If you hold the shifter with pressure toward your intended gear without using the clutch, and the RPM's are not matched, you will prematurely wear out your synchronizers.

·
Registered
923 Posts
heymccall;1592031; said:
clutchless operation to disengage a gear is harmless as long as the gears are not loaded (ie not accelerating or decelerating). Now, as for shifting into gear, that another story. Both gears must be at exactly the same rpm and the shifter will fall into place under light pressure. If you hold the shifter with pressure toward your intended gear without using the clutch, and the rpm's are not matched, you will prematurely wear out your synchronizers.
x2

·
Registered
210 Posts
Unless you are power shifting..... Which is very hard on the trans...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts