Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I seem to be getting a popping noise right at the end of my stop when braking and then again when accelerating from a complete stop. I replaced the rear U-Joint and had done the brake fitment / adjustment a few weeks ago so maybe I went to loose on the pad adjustment? The sound comes from the rear and seems to be getting louder - hopefully not my rear end differential. What is the best way to diagnose and where should I look first? I appreciate any feedback...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was going through the same thing. One problem i found was loose U bolts. I tried to tighten them and they didn't budge. Some liquid wrench and a long cheater bar and I got them loose. Seems the nuts had seized to the U bolt so they wouldn't tighten anymore. Once loose and lubed they tightened right up. That fixed my problem but another issue I have heard is the caliper bolts getting gunked up and making the calipers stick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
you need to get under the truck and see if the drive shaft has any play in it like mine. I have what sounds like to be the same issue right now

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback! I will have to get under there tomorrow and try your suggestions...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had an issue like this and it was simply my spare tire cable not tight enough, just a thought, but I would not think its your rearend at all. Thats rare for them to fail like that even when abused. I beat the eyes out of my old lb7 and never changed the rear oil and it was fine. Do what the other guys say and start with the simplest first. Hope you find the issue.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If the yoke is loose at the output housing of the transfer case. Replace the yoke with updated nickle plated yoke, and replace output shaft bushing. Main problem is the bushing is prob. worn out. New updated yoke with new bushing will keep from wearing out so fast and allow for the slip to happen, without having to grease every few months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. It ended up being loose U-Bolt Nuts. I sprayed some PB Blaster on them, torqued the he!! out of them (torque spec is 110 ft*lbs, but I didn't have a big enough torque wrench, so had to do by feel) and noticed that some of them were looser on the passenger side. After test driving, the popping noise was gone! If it happens again, the right way to fix would probably be to loosen all of them, add some thread lock and re-tighten. I did check the spare tire and drive shaft, but both were tight with little or no play, thank goodness. Thank you again for your help and another successful diagnosis from Diesel Place!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. It ended up being loose U-Bolt Nuts. I sprayed some PB Blaster on them, torqued the he!! out of them (torque spec is 110 ft*lbs, but I didn't have a big enough torque wrench, so had to do by feel) and noticed that some of them were looser on the passenger side. After test driving, the popping noise was gone! If it happens again, the right way to fix would probably be to loosen all of them, add some thread lock and re-tighten. I did check the spare tire and drive shaft, but both were tight with little or no play, thank goodness. Thank you again for your help and another successful diagnosis from Diesel Place!
Hello. I had somewhat of a Similar noise right before coming to a complete stop the upon acceleration. Been driving me crazy for a month now. Checked everything on this forum and then some. Finally took it to a local repair shop reproduced the sound on a lift. Found out the 2 transmission mount bolts had come loose. Noise gone....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts