Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 K1500 Chevy that has a popping in the front end whenever I take off or stop. Replaced my ball joints, as I had two damaged boots, checked bushings and tie rods and still have the noise. I was told by a mechanic that the rubber mounts on the frame end of the torsion bars are a frequent source of noise in GM IFS trucks. Short of having someone drive it while I hang underneath, (no I'm not gonna really do that) is there any way to check if this is the problem or any other ideas on what it may be.It's been doing it for a long time and I would like to fix it before something breaks off.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Try to LUBE up the bushings with something that will not swell the rubber.......I would recommend WD40 but it may or may not hurt the rubber bushings.

Silcone may stop the creaking also.

Try one and see if it damages them before proceeding with more spots.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
514 Posts
Be careful with silicone sprays. Some of them eat plastics and some of them don't. Best to test them on styrofoam cups and if it eats the cup then you don't want to use it on plastic.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hound said:
Be careful with silicone sprays. Some of them eat plastics and some of them don't. Best to test them on styrofoam cups and if it eats the cup then you don't want to use it on plastic.

I never knew a good way to check this before...I guess any lube that is petroleum based would be bad on plastics and rubber.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe the problem is the control arm bushings. After inspecting them I saw no indication they had any unusual wear and the problem has been continuing for nearly 50k miles now. The truck only makes the popping sound on take off and stopping, never while hitting any bumps. If it were the bushings in the control arms it would seem logical it would make noise on bumps as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought that was possible, so I checked it out. No broken leaves, loose bolts or shifting parts. Problem sounds more near the middle of the truck and at times I can feel something underneath my feet.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
what about the trans mount? .......... FYI, I use Bell Ray chain lube on anything that has rubber. Bell Ray is safe for rubber gaskets, it's what I used for years on my 520 O-Ring chains. I have sanded a loose piece of steel and sprayed it with the Bell-Ray stuff, it did not rust the year it sat outside. --- Try that on your truck.

--- Bell Ray comes in reg and syn, they both work well.

Burner----------->

1 - 8 of 8 Posts