Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on why my fuel mileage dropped 3 miles and the performance is not what it used to be. Could it be the new diesel. Has anyone else seen this,

·
Registered
105 Posts
I noticed a little bit of a drop in mileage from the Ultra Low Sulfer diesel. Plus it has been real cold in Northern New Jersey lately so this doen't help mpg's either. The performace........ Mabey slightly. Actually I just decided to tighten my intercooler hoses and two clamps were pretty loose so I tightened them it seems to be a little more responsive now.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
not sure were your at but i see a 2 mpg decrease once they start using winter blend:mad:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah, fuel mileage drops with winter blend fuel. This may be what you are seeing.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
kawimotoman837;1588197; said:
Any thoughts on why my fuel mileage dropped 3 miles and the performance is not what it used to be. Could it be the new diesel. Has anyone else seen this,
As it's been said, most likely the cold weather and winter blend diesel.

What year/model truck?

·
Registered
123 Posts
In the south and yes , myself and others have noticed a 1 to 3 mile drop in milage since having to use the ULSD.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
USLD will lower your MPG ain't no doubt:rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing to check when poor mileage is experienced is the pressure in your tires. However, I just experienced something I thought was really weird. I bought new tires and on a 511 mile trip, I lost over 3 MPG. Turned out my parking brake did not fully release even though I generally pull the release handle twice. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the parking brake?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree completely about the tire pressure issue - with OEM tires, I run 70 psi all around empty, and 80 in the rears with the camper on. I find the ride is not affected much.

Up here, I really haven't noticed ANY mileage or performance change upon ULSD introduction last fall.

However, a partially plugged or dirty air filter will dramatically cut your mileage and performance.

I understand also that a dirty MAF sensor in the air intake can screw up your mileage.

There are posts elsewhere in this forum how to clean these.

In particular if you have a K&N oil soaked air filter, the MAF gets contaminated and gives false readings to the computer.

Both those might be worth checking.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm getting 16 Mpg with 265's Highway 21K miles on Truck. No complaints here, I haven't had any problems with my truck, she just needs TLC, and so does my Wife!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
When my power and milage dropped off significantly I changed the fuel filter and was right back to where I was. All power and milage restored. I now change my F/F every other oil change.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
crs1369;1604462; said:
Can Someone give me the lowdown on using a grille blanket in cold weather to improve miles per gallon? Does it help?
It might help a bit if you are running in really cold temperatures, as the grill cover helps to bring and keep your engine at proper operating temperature.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
the cover helps alot, brings my truck to 140 degrees in the morning with the remote start. usually twenty minutes. helps with the cab temp also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Under 20K miles on my truck I got 16mpg but I put bigger tires on my truck and it dropped (of course) to 14mpg. Does anyone have any suggestions on a programmer to increase mpg. I don't care to much about performance it does just fine for me. My ex-boyfriend put a Banks system on it. But I didn't like how it was to hard to take off and on. So I had it taken off plus it did not help in mpg which was my main concern. Needless to say that is sitting in my garage unused. I want something I can plug in load/unload.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
i have heard alot about the predator programmer, good and easy to use. load and go. very adjustable. also the edge is good because you can pick your level easier and if you want more power its as easy as pushing a button. also it comes with built in guages. its your preferance though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a Superchip max micro tuner, gives a lot of power and gained fuel economy. Its really easy to adjust, just plugs right in to the diagnostic plug-in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts