Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to get fuel and i saw a brand new(the smell gave it away) LBZ so i was talking to the attendant he said the guy just pumped $40 in gas into it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Did anyone tell him so he didn't start it up with the gas in it? :confused:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had already moved it and went to get a tow truck.

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is my first diesel and I was totally freaked out and worried I would put gas in mine the first month or so. Never really came close, but I have been putting gas in cars/motorcycles for over 20 years. Old habits die hard. Now I just hope I do not put diesel in a motorcycle.

Leaving the truck running at the pump helps me remember. Since my last truck was a 2500HD gasser the idea of jumping out a the ruck and putting gas in it remained basically the same as before. I need to break that habit quick or end up like this poor guy.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That has been my biggest fear. I know atleast one BP station that has their diesel hose at the same location as the gasoline pump. Other words you you pull up to pump but the gas hose is on the left and the diesel is on the right. Other than the large nasty pump nozzle and the handle being green there is not much way to tell the difference.

Also while we are talking about getting fuel what is the best way to fuel up my truck without overflowing the fuel down the side of the truck. I usually pump it fairly fast until I know I am getting close to the top then I ease the rest in. I learned right fast that you don't lock the nozzle down and expect it to cut off in time before it spews out.
:badidea:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The faster you pump, the more the fuel has a tendency to foam, causing it to -:t all over the side of the truck. I always fill on the first click. It takes a little longer, but you can also squeeze a little more fuel in. At least that's what I tell myself. Every drop counts when you've only got 26 gallons worth of tank. :rolleyes:

Ty

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i always lock it on the 1st notch on the pump. it takes longer to fuel but you dont have as much foam.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If the pump handle is set on the first notch does it normally click off before the fuel spews out? Thanks for the info guys just trying to get some pointers. Due to only driving the truck once or twice a week I don't have to fuel up much due to short distance driving.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Heh yeah I'm still worried about putting the wrong fuel in. I can only imagine getting out of the truck talking on the phone and not paying attention.

I have wondered if it would set a check engine light if you pumped gas with it running. I know some cars are prone to that BS.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Because the diesel pumps much faster and it will foam up and puke all over the side of your truck.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i lock mine all the way down and have never had it spill over. i can see foam in the filler neck, though. maybe the foam is tricking the nozzle into shutting off, idk....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
That has been my biggest fear. I know atleast one BP station that has their diesel hose at the same location as the gasoline pump. Other words you you pull up to pump but the gas hose is on the left and the diesel is on the right. Other than the large nasty pump nozzle and the handle being green there is not much way to tell the difference.
:exactly: They do this simply because they can. Standards of England in the good ole US of A.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
For those who ever fill their tanl with gas; At work we have a siphon hose, with a one way check valve. I have seen them for sale at a truck stop, where I fill up.

Put the hose in tank. Start shaking the hose (in and out) creating a siphon. Works great. We use the hose for filling fuel filters.

Just need something to put the gas into. Drain the tank down as MUCH as you can get out. Fill with diesel. Addittive wouldn't hurt, either.

Would be cheaper than a tow, and a tech who will probably do the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw these at Lowe's last night in the plumbing dept. They were
$15.99 I skipped on it never seeing one before. I guess I'll pick
one up for the shop later in the week now.:cool2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts