Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a suggestion. I have a 1995 F-350 powerstroke, auto overdrive, and it is not getting very good fuel mileage. I average about 14 mpg. I tried a K&N air filter in the factory air box. That did not do anything. I tried the max tuner super chip in the towing and performance modes. No difference at all. I was going to try a different air box, so I took out my stock air box and the new one I was going to try did not fit so I could not try it. But when I was trying to re-install the factory air box It got into a fight with me and was destroyed. So I have now ordered a K&N cold air intake system for it. I have put in a 190 degree thermostat and it has made no difference at all. I am still waiting on the air intake. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help my fuel mileage. I have some friends that get 18-22 mpg depending on how they drive. But no matter how I drive I get the same 12-14 mpg. It also gets the same wen I am pulling a trailer or my fifth wheel camper. Please help if you can. I like my ford but I am considering trading on a dodge to get some fuel mileage. I don't know what else to do....

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dont know of anything that you can do to get better milage. 12-14 sounds about right to me. Our 97 powerstroke only got 11. Might try putting some aftermarket exhaust on it. Might help a little bit. Before you trade in on a dodge make sure it has 355 gears or youll be in the same spot your in right now. My buddys dodge has 4.10s and he only gets 13mpg. Good luck with your truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure what's meant by the different modes of the Superchips tuner, but I recently installed a Gold Superchip in the '00 Excursion after having it programmed for a 65HP gain. My MPG's shot up from 14 to 20 while the power level went from frown inducing
to maniacal grin
inducing. In my shopping for a mod for this rig, I was told that the chip is preferred, by many, over the tuner as it can be completely customized to the owner's needs or desires. Fuel dump, boost level, top speed limiter can all be adjusted to suit the owners goals. I have no regrets. My local Superchips dealer (Central Motive Power) in Denver flashed the chip to my specs for free - even though I bought the chip on EBAY. I dont know if that can be found elsewhere, but I thought it was very good of them. I'll certainly return for my future needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts