Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 03 dmax,and me went to get a pickup box,about 175mi each way,and i drove about 75+ all the way and back,w/ the box on a open snowmobile trailer.i filled when left and almost home i filled agian,and got 15.5 mpg.is this low,or what.i hear all the great mpg's on this site,but never get that w/ mine. i had it in #3 on the edge,and really didnt hammer it at all.it was 30-35 deg outside,and im runninf 245s for the winter.any ideas? maybe i should get a cummins for mpg? just kiddin'

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
my 03 dmax,and me went to get a pickup box,about 175mi each way,and i drove about 75+ all the way and back,w/ the box on a open snowmobile trailer.i filled when left and almost home i filled agian,and got 15.5 mpg.is this low,or what.i hear all the great mpg's on this site,but never get that w/ mine. i had it in #3 on the edge,and really didnt hammer it at all.it was 30-35 deg outside,and im runninf 245s for the winter.any ideas? maybe i should get a cummins for mpg? just kiddin'

Thats not abnormal with winter blend diesel. mine drops as well from 22-23 to about 20 maybe 21 on a good day...

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
If I do 55 mph on the hyway I get around 23 plus, anything over 55 and your mileage goes way down, around town stop n go driving sux for a diesel around 12 mpg:mad:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If I do 55 mph on the hyway I get around 23 plus, anything over 55 and your mileage goes way down, around town stop n go driving sux for a diesel around 12 mpg:mad:
The worst I get has been 15.7 around town with winter blend, guess ill stop complaining now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 03, I went from getting 22mpg in the summer which was all time best to a constant 15 no matter if its in the winter, summer, city, or highway. Had a tech 2 up to it the other day and balance rates and return rates checked out all good so I'm kinda stumped.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess one problem is i have never drove the truck 65-70 mph,no load summer for a hi mpg figure yet.shes always pulling or im late or??? running it hard.i have seen 18 or so a few times,but its hard to ck it for the max mpg.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd be happy with 15.5 since my duramax gives a consistent 13-14 hwy or town while driving less than 1800 rpm (65-70 mph). I've hand calculated for a year now with the same results.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
i'd say 15.5 is pretty good for pulling a trailer, no matter how small the trailer is. i just got 16 with 4 people and my cap on heading to columbus and back yesterday. proly would have been 19 or 20 before i got more aggressive tires and the winter fuel factor.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When was the last time you changed or cleaned your air filter? Has a lot to do with mileage.

·
Registered
544 Posts
15.5mpg! That's great milage. That's about what I average in the summer never going over 55mph, never over 5psi boost, and coasting to ever stop sign.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It's winter, you're towing, and going over 75 all the way. I'd say you're getting great mileage. Keep it under 70 and it will go up probably 1-2 mpg. You can't control the other factors.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Did a test this week, with the PPE set on 160hp setting, keeping all shifts under 2k going 65 or less on the interstate which was the majority of the driving on this tank I was able to pull off 16.4mpg. Going to try another setting on the programmer and see if I get any different results.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't believe all you read here!!
Around 15 is pretty good.

Between the 4 we've had here none have done any better and the 2008 we've got running here now is a LOT worse!

Same for the Furds and the Dogdes. None get as good as they say for us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I filled up the other day and hand calculated 17.25mpg, my personal best so far. Probably half to three quarters of that tank was on the highway doing around 65mph with my Triple Dog set on tow. I'd like to get more, but with a cc/drw with an Allison I figure I'm not too bad off. It'd be great to hand calculate over 20mpg at least one time though. I'd pass the ---- out at the diesel pump........lol.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
20mpg plus is easy for my dad. He get's 20mpg+ all the time. I've seen 20mpg once :rolleyes:. I usurally get 17-18mpg hand calculated in summer. 3 weeks ago I ran 200+ miles with 4000lbs on my flatbed and got 16.6mpg with my DSP5 set to 100HP. I've been getting around 15-15.5mpg for the last couple months but I'm constantly turning the "little dial :D" all the way up and smoking drivers of lesser vehicles :eek: :D,and I run up to 85mph when I'm on open roads away from traffic.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Did a test this week, with the PPE set on 160hp setting, keeping all shifts under 2k going 65 or less on the interstate which was the majority of the driving on this tank I was able to pull off 16.4mpg. Going to try another setting on the programmer and see if I get any different results.

Set on level 4 (160hp) tune, I was gettin 17.4 in the city, hand calc'd, and according to my gps...With the 225 hp tune loaded, I get a solid 1/10 th of a mile better mpg..Again..this is in the city, with No hwy or frwy driving.

BTW, when my truck was stock, it got 15.1 mpg in the city.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Don't believe all you read here!!
Around 15 is pretty good.

quote]

Good point..if your mpg's aren't hand calc'd your gettin a false reading if you go by the DIC, espeacially with a tuner installed..I'm still leary of anyone that says they are getting 23-24 mpg..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 03 extended cab 4X4 and I get anywhere from 14.5 to 16 mpg while towing my 12’ open trailer at those speeds. I recently drove from Washington State to my home in Montana on winter blend fuel. I set my cruise at 80 mph on the way there, I got 20.34 mpg. On the way back I pulled my trailer, cruise set at 73 mph and I averaged 15.5 mpg.
Any roll resistance as well as an increase in rpm’s will drastically reduce your fuel mileage. Just imagine what you would have gotten with a gas engine!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts