Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new Sierra Denali that was being delivered to a dealer recently. I didn't want to wait 6 months to order a truck, so I bought what came on the carrier. Nice truck, and I like it much better than my 2017 F-150. Came with a 3.0L diesel. This thing sips fuel compared to my gas engine. The only complaint I have is the braking....it sucks!!! Anyone tried those Brembo Brake upgrades? Only do the front or all four? Other brake upgrade recommendations? I'm open for suggestions. This is such a big difference in braking that it scares me to tow anything.

· Administrator
27,249 Posts
Just picked up a new Sierra Denali that was being delivered to a dealer recently. I didn't want to wait 6 months to order a truck, so I bought what came on the carrier. Nice truck, and I like it much better than my 2017 F-150. Came with a 3.0L diesel. This thing sips fuel compared to my gas engine. The only complaint I have is the braking....it sucks!!! Anyone tried those Brembo Brake upgrades? Only do the front or all four? Other brake upgrade recommendations? I'm open for suggestions. This is such a big difference in braking that it scares me to tow anything.
With the way the Manufacturer is with any warranty claims nowadays, I wouldn't do any upgrades until the warranty has expired.

· Premium Member
18,511 Posts
Braking sucks doesn't really describe.
What are you comparing it to?
What is the specific complaint?
Excess pedal travel?
Excess pedal effort?
Pulls to one side?
ABS activates on moderate stops?

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So mine has a whopping 547 miles on it now. Braking has not improved. I have not towed my boat or construction trailer with it yet because I am scared to do so. The slow speed braking isn't great, but that's easier to put up with. The higher speed braking (say over 45 MPH) is what really scares me. I was going about 53 MPH on a back road and a deer ran out in front of me. Truck stayed straight due to ABS, but it seemed like it took forever to stop compared to my old 2012 Expedition which I'm coming from. Brakes also seem kind of "mushy", though not in a failure type of way. Hard to explain how they feel. It's a huge difference in braking. I do not have any "specs" or distance readouts because we don't have little lines on the road every few feet to tell us what the braking distance is. Sorry, being a smart ass there, but I've got to figure something out. I will not tow anything until this is fixed. Dealer said everything was fine system-wise, so it's just built into the truck apparently. There is a Brembo braking system with 8 pistons and slotted / drilled rotors that look interesting. Also put some carbon-ceramic pads on there. That is super expensive though. A Brembo engineer told me that the braking system sold through GMC accessories is OK, but not the best I can get. I appreciate your input. It is helpful to see what other people thing and say. Another person mentioned a booster system problem potentially. Another also made a point that braking distance or power can be subjective, which I would agree with. This just seems to be much more than that.

· Premium Member
18,511 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time that a truck escaped the factory with air in the braking system. I had 1 of 3 '05, and 2 of '06 where the brakes felt different.
I believe I also saw a truck on here very recently with the power steering oil contaminated from the factory with brake fluid, or vice-versa, needing all the hoses replaced.

Here's the thread .... Question: - Stabilitrak, TCS, Trailer Brake system...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts