Diesel Place banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Like this? http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/35-off-topic/139-politics-religion/657386-here-thought.html

I see a few have decided to make all grievances public, most have been locked I noticed :HiHi:

Kevin
Yes, I just took care of that one as well – there will be whiners and criers in there forever and ever, but if their inability to have a discussion in a civil fashion (which is ALL the new rules are meant to bring on) means that the politics and religion forum dies a slow death, honestly I don't give a crap.

We gave everybody over a week to openly vent their frustrations, and we even let them throw all the staff under the bus, but we are done with it – if they can't play like big boys in the sandbox then they are welcome to move on.

I said it in the threads in there, but if they think they're going to find another forum where they are all going to be able to continue to behave as they thought was so acceptable here, I suspect they have a rude awakening coming.

Reactions: SouthernTrails

·
Registered
7 Posts
What we have implemented on cummins forum for these topics is a dedicated section that only premium members can view and post in. It has a few threads that are not quite suited for the general public. We are alot stricter, but we also have almost a quarter million registered members. A couple weeks ago our 2013+ section was getting out of hand so I ended up suspending about 7 members for 3 days to a week and that sent the message to everyone else. Any complaints about it, they also received a vacation from the site. Usually doing that will calm things down for awhile. With as many members as we have we can afford to do that and not worry about the forum loosing to much activity, with a smaller forum that might be risky depending on the members you do it to.

Nic
Cummins Forum Administrator

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
A few sites I've looked at have P&R accessible to PPM's only, that would go over like a lead balloon here. PPM was instituted a few years ago because some wanted it, then it caused a major outcry of a conspiracy by AF and how much they destroyed the site after the sale. That's even been brought up a few times this week our clampdown of P&R, and its years later. We have tried to be extremely fair, open minded and level headed in all this, we are pretty much done with that.

I also noticed you guys did a major clamp down on behavior in the general forum as of late. With you recent anti smoke announcement and the behavior in general stance on the home page. The mob mentality of the young kids with their "Cummins" attitude showed and needed reining in? Good to see.

Folks, it's become painfully obvious that we have some issues with posts on here, and we have decided that it's time to wrangle in the monster in an effort to improve the forum experience for ALL members.

Here are some areas that we will be cracking down on more:

*Profanity. Profanity simply isn't going to be acceptable, and that includes using alternate characters in place of letters. An "A" followed by two "z's" is the same as an "A" followed by two "s's". One of my sticking points is the term douche or dbag; no more. If you have to use alternative characters to get around the word filter, do not post it.

*"Dog-piling" or a "mob mentality". I see it all the time, a person posts a question or asks for input, and pretty soon one member slams them and before we know it, we have four or five guys jumping on. No more.

*Respect. We all need to make an effort when conversing with folks, to be as respectful as possible. Treat others like their input is gold; you don't have to like an idea but be respectful. It's possible to have a discussion with opposing views and still being friendly and respectful. Childish antics and fits and personal shots/attacks are not acceptable, this isn't Congress. Treat others with the utmost respect and you'll get it in return.

*Baiting. I don't go a day without seeing multiple posts designed to instigate and argument, or crafted in a way to provoke another members response. No more.

Basically folks, if you can't treat others with respect, and keep the language down, and follow the very rules that YOU agreed to when you signed up for this forum, you don't need to be here. We're all grown men, it's time we act like it. I expect the longer term members to act as a positive example for the newer guys.

This is going to be a long process, and I expect many won't like the vacations they receive. Consider this your warning folks, we will be swift in dealing with issues and won't be lenient in our disciplinary measures. Please, everyone, before you post a message, read over it again. Ask yourself "will this instigate an argument?" or "is the language acceptable?" If not, change it before you hit submit.

If you see a problem, report the post. It's fast and anonymous (see photo below). We are here to help YOU but we obviously can not scan every single post on the forum. Help us help you have a better forum experience.
BTW I'm Richard, forgot to introduce myself. My Cummins has a smoking problem can you help? lol. :hehe:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yay, we have a Dodge person here and now I'm not the only one.

Nic's post reminded me of something, in addition to having our N&P un-viewable by the general public (those not signed on) we also have a grown up area. It's called the Saloon and members need to be 21 to be granted access. So there is a place where our many adult members can be themselves away from the teeny boppers.
We allow off colored jokes, vulgarity, and more private discussions and personal sharing so long as none of it is directed at another user.
It's not a very active area and most users don't even know it exists until they post a video with some inappropriate (not PG in our case) content and we move it there because it wasn't bad enough to remove.

Leah
HF Admin/mod

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
BTW I'm Richard, forgot to introduce myself. My Cummins has a smoking problem can you help? lol. :hehe:
Did you try the Nicoderm patch? :whistle:

·
Just Horsing Around
17,557 Posts
Hey Nic;

Interesting reading, and I will say that last time I visited CF I was pretty surprised by the general tone of many of the members posts, so it's interesting to hear that you are now cleaning ship. It's a slippery slope that must be one heck of a task to clean up after the fact, especially if it has been like that for sometime.

If you've browsed through our politics and religion forum, specifically the last week or so, you'll see all the trouble that we have had dealing with just that one area – and for the most part it was the only non-PG area on the forum. Despite the cries of a few select people I think it's pretty obvious to most that the staff has bent over backwards and gone exceptionally far out of our way to be tolerant of everything during the cleanup process, however we still have a few bullheaded members in there who just refuse to adapt or accept change. That said my patience is growing thin for the whole situation, and we have told him that unless they shape up we will simply close the P&R forum entirely as it's often more pain than it's worth to the forum as a whole.

Basically, a small handful of our members seem to forget that we are primarily a diesel forum that just happens to have a politics and religion subsection, as opposed to the other way around. Despite the fact that the new rules we have put in place are hardly overbearing or difficult to follow, a few people just can't seem to adapt – I think it's only a matter of time before they are weeded out however.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Basically, a small handful of our members seem to ignore that we are primarily a diesel forum that just happens to have a politics and religion subsection, as opposed to the other way around.
FIFY. They've been reminded of the fact several times, they chose to ignore it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts