Diesel Place banner

Polishing Diamond Plate

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rigwatcher 
#1 ·
Anyone had any experience with a product called MetalWax? I tried this stuff and I tell you I am not having the best of luck trying to polish out the Diamond Plate on my truck. Checking to see if I am doing something wrong or maybe its the product. Please help

#3 ·
This takes forever but by far the best stuff I have used is Flitz. It is the only thing that I have used that actually makes it look like new (although I have not used the product you are talking about). They also make a buffing wheel that might make it quicker.

#4 ·
The best stuff for diamond plate is the aluminum cleaner from NAPA. Spray it on and hose it off the stuff is amazing. The only thing is I would remove the box from the truck I wouldn't want to get that stuff on the paint. but it really works wonders. I found it at a trailer place. They were using it to make aluminum trailers look new after welding them together.

#6 ·
The best stuff for diamond plate is the aluminum cleaner from NAPA. Spray it on and hose it off the stuff is amazing. The only thing is I would remove the box from the truck I wouldn't want to get that stuff on the paint. but it really works wonders. I found it at a trailer place. They were using it to make aluminum trailers look new after welding them together.

From what I hear that stuff is pretty harsh and will eat off any clear coat on the aluminum, which means it will just tarnish quicker next time.

#11 ·
totally agree...I use this stuff on all my aluminum parts and it shines like no other!!!

:exactly:

#5 ·
I used MetalWax on the diamond plate on a ladder truck I used to drive. This was after years of lazy drivers that never took care of the plate. It did take some elbow grease and several applications, but it came out almost looking like new.

#9 ·
we use a 2x4 with some old shab carpet stapled to the top...wrap the 2x4...then use the posidh of your choice...it gets all the corners and crevases.....we use a product calle rod creme....we get it ttough napa, but it is a local product....

#7 ·
If you are referring to Collinite Metal Wax, that stuff is the heat. Been using it for years and it cleans and protects very well. for Diamond plate use elbow grease to remove all oxidization ( black stuff on rag). Take an orbital buffer with a wooly type pad BEFORE the wax completely dries--- comes right off and the buffer gets into the nooks of the D. Plate well. If it's good enough for F-14's, it's good enough for my stuff.

#12 ·
Diamond Plate Polishing

Well, I got the Mr. Polish and the power ball and went at it in trying to polish my running boards. I thought it was chrome Diamond plate but it turned out it was just polished aluminum that had not been taken care of. I took the running boards off and with one round of polishing which was pretty easy the running boards came out freakin' awesome. This stuff really works. I plan on doing the bed rail covers but I didn't have much luck so far. Probably need more elbow grease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.