Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I live on a mile strip of gravel that i go down everyday. sometimes I drive more gravel. tires see a lot of road, but also see some farm use. Pretty much a country truck, but I do take care of it. So will chrome hold up in them conditions? or should I just go with a polished wheel?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I dont think you should worry about the wheels getting hit too much with stones or anything, but polished wheels will look like chit in 6-7 months, worse if you see a winter with salt on the roads..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the winter has been real bad this year in missouri. I've had polished and it dont take long for them to wear out, but they don't chip. I live in a small town, so you know i'm in the country all the time. My truck also sees some farm use. I just want a wheel that will hold up for a few years. Anybody on here put any chrome wheels in a country atmosphere?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think it all depends on the quality of wheel. Weld offers a 5 year warrenty on the chrome on their wheels, but others offer none. If you want them to look good for a long time go with chrome. A descent chrome job will hold up to alot of abuse. Just look at GMs bumpers. You know they cut every corner possible and they are still holding up. MY $.02.

DMAXBOB

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had a set of polished Helo Maxx 8's on my 01' gasser and they didn't last 6 months before I was embarrassed to have them on my truck. It was winter and lots of gravel road use.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sledog;1601511; said:
I had a set of polished Helo Maxx 8's on my 01' gasser and they didn't last 6 months before I was embarrassed to have them on my truck. It was winter and lots of gravel road use.
I've had polished on my old truck. I would go with chrome if it wouldn't chip on me. Thats my only concern for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm sure someone out there lives in the country, or on a farm with chrome wheels. I'm interested in the helo maxx 8's. THe chrome ones.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My chrome wheels seem to be holding up well. I am not a hardcore wheeler or anything but they have been through some mud. I do put my factory wheels on for the winter though. You can't beat a chrome wheel for looks and ease of cleaning imo. :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm not a hard core off roader either. I've grown out of that. My only concern is my gravel roads, and dirt and mud from the farm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd go with chrome, polished is hard to keep up in the winter. You have to polish like crazy to keep the original shine, and depending on the wheel that can be a real pain. Here in Wa State with all the rain,mud and going offroad and hunting my last polished wheels looked like crap in no time.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Id say chrome, I went that route with my most recent ones and they are doing fine so far. I do worry about the gravel also because I do alot of driving on it but if you keep your speed down that should help. I saw a truck the other day that had a set of chrome helo max 8's on it and they looked horrible:eek: They had almost no chrome left on them. I hope my KMC's hold up better than that, I have had several sets of polished wheels in the past and Ill never go back:D

·
Registered
490 Posts
My buddy went with polished for his truck. It's a farm/country truck. He had chrome before and they pitted after the first snow up here in MI. He also couldn't get them warrantied because winter driving (Salt) is not reccomended for chrome. Go figure. If you go to centerlines website and look at the warranty info they basically say that it won't be covered.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew it would be mixed reactions. I guess I will have to make a decision and go with it. O well its still cold here. I got till summer to decide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts