Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 LBZ with about 1800mi on it. I installed a Corsa Exhaust and an AIRAID intake on it. I was towing this past weekend, (26ft toy-hauler) and my check engine light came on. I used a scanner at work and retrieved code PO401 for insufficient EGR flow.... Anyone heard of this? I emailed Corsa and asked them about it, they said no, they asked if I removed the cat when I installed the exhaust, which I didnt. I cleared the code, if it comes back on then I guess it is off to the dealer, Im just worried that they are going to give me grief for the exhaust and the intake..... :help2:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Its a common code, I have had it twice while towing and all I have changed is an afe filter. I have also had 0101 which is mass air flow. I talked to a tech and he said they are seeing more CEL now than ever and he was told a re flash may be in the works desensitize the system a bit. The odd thing for me is all 3 times minew has come on I have been rolling through Minneapolis?? Just weird to me since I travel all over and that is the only place for all 3.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I had a PO401 and PO404 with my 05 LLY 1 day after I did the cat back system. No intake mod. On my truck it knows how muck back pressure it 's looking for. On the LLY 05 there was a update for this code. Not sure about the 06 LBZ. If you do go back tell them it was happing before the exhaust and intake or they might say it's your stuff... see ya later ... have a nice day.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got a p0401 with the airaid intake, stock exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I tried an Air Rade intake. Kept getting 0101 and 0401. took it back

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Exhaust only, set p401 when towing, normal hot footing around its fine, dealer blames the exhaust, I told dealer to _______. Sent Email to Gm, FWIW.

·
Registered
71 Posts
anymore info on this update? I just installed the MBRP 5" and the code is coming on from Ideling.. well a little rev at idel and it comes on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are a million threads about this...I have tested the Finger Stick on the LBZ and it dosen't work yet...

There is a code blocker that does work, but is high dollar...Do some searching around...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just put on my 5" mbrp t-bak and now I got a 401 code.:eek:

gm and their tunning.:help2:

I wish bully dog would find a way to shut that sensor off in the ecm.:hail:

·
Registered
62 Posts
if the pto was enabled on the ecm would that stop this test and the 401 code?

The engine control module (ECM) tests the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow once per ignition cycle. When the proper enabling conditions are met, the ECM will close the EGR valve and then open the EGR valve while monitoring the mass air flow (MAF) signal. An expected MAF difference should be detected between the open and closed positions. If the ECM does not see the expected MAF difference, DTC P0401 sets.<A name=ss2-1369740><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1369740&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss2-1369740" target="_blank">
<H5>DTC Descriptor</A></H5>

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC.

DTC P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient<A name=ss3-1369740><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1369740&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss3-1369740" target="_blank">
<H5>Conditions for Running the DTC</A></H5>
<UL =BULLET>
<LI>DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0370, P0374, P0500, P0642, P0643, P2122, P2123, P2127, P2128, P2132, P2133, P2138, P2139, P2140, P2227, P2228, P2229 are not set.
<LI>The engine is running for more than 0.5 seconds.
<LI>The ignition voltage is between 11-18 volts.
<LI>The calculated fuel rate is between 3-20 mm³. This running condition will remain enabled until the calculated fuel rate is less than 2 mm³ or more than 25 mm³ and will not enable again until the calculate fuel rate is between 3-0 mm³.
<LI>The intake air temperature (IAT) is more than 5.25°C (41.5°F). This running condition will remain enabled until the IAT is less than 0°C (32°F) and will not enable again until the IAT is more than 5.25°C (41.5°F).
<LI>The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 60-96.75°C (140-206.15°F). This running condition will remain enabled until the ECT is less than 57°C (134.6°F) or more than 99.75°C (211.55°F) and will not enable again until the ECT is between 60-96.75°C (140-206.15°F).
<LI>The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 74 kPa. This running condition will remain enabled until the BARO is less than 72 kPa and will not enable again until 74 kPa.
<LI>The engine speed is between 640-820 RPM. This running condition will remain enabled until the engine speed is less than 580 RPM or more than 880 RPM and will not enable again until the engine speed is between 640-820 RPM.
<LI>The accelerator pedal position (APP) indicated angle is 0 percent.
<LI>The vehicle speed is less than 0.4 km/h (0.25 mph).
<LI>The power take-off (PTO) is not engaged.
<LI>The ECM is not in limp home mode.
<LI>The above conditions are present for 10 seconds.
<LI>This diagnostic runs once per ignition cycle while the above conditions are met. </LI>
[/list]<A name=ss4-1369740><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1369740&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss4-1369740" target="_blank">
<H5>Conditions for Setting the DTC</A></H5>

The MAF difference monitored by the ECM during the EGR flow test indicates an insufficient amount of EGR flow.<A name=ss5-1369740><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1369740&psdid=437&evc=sm#ss5-1369740" target="_blank">
<H5>Action Taken When the DTC Sets-California</A></H5>
<UL =BULLET>
<LI>The control module illuminates the MIL on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
<LI>The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
And here I ran around for weeks with just a catless front pipe(no muffler or tail, just a 4" front pipe) and never poped a CEL. Drove the piss outa the truck and did plenty of WOT runs. Put many miles on it in town and on the highway. Never towed. Maybe its mid throttle with a load that pisses some off?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Most of the time when my CEL comes on, its usually when cruisin for a period of time. During the last month, It has only came on a few times since the exhaust has been on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ww.pacificp.com has a cable that will help with this. my light comes on and goes off by its self same code every time. Im not sure if the cable is available for the 06, the cable will allow you to remove the egr

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think it is now available, BodyGuy. I had a similar problem with a MAF Pass/Fail code after installing the a Volant cold air intake. I've tried everything else except a programmer and will check into the cable further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
S&B's New LBZ Intake!

S&B Filter's new intake system for the LBZ actually cured my CES problems in my truck. I was heavily involved in the design and testing on this kit, plus I still run the first production unit produced. It took a few months to perfect, especially with the temperamental PCM that the new LBZ uses, but the kit works amazing now!

All I can say is that the power is incredible and there are no more little engine lights on my dash! This is still true, even after installing a Magnaflow exhaust and a Bully Dog power pup.

I know that S&B just released the final version of the kit last Friday, but I don't know of anyone else who has the kit installed yet. I'm sure more users will follow. I believe the part number will be 75-5013.

There was a lot of testing done, just so everyone knows. The first version would throw a CES light within 5 seconds after starting the engine. A few modifications were made to the design and then the CES light only appeared during heavy load (towing my 10,000 toy box). A few other modifications were made and more testing and now there isn't a CES to be seen. Again, this is still true even AFTER installing a Magnaflow exhaust and then the Bully Dog unit.

Now all I need is the Bully Dog Triple Dog & Outlook, then I'll be set!

Check out the pics-

·
Registered
345 Posts
Is the cat still on the truck?

·
Registered
814 Posts
My truck is shutting down...

My truck throws the 0401, and 0087 ??..and shuts down.

Seems to only happen when in Florida for some reason, not sure if its the temperature, elevation perhaps, salt in the air? LOL

When it happens, the light comes on, interior chime will ding, and then the truck feels like its running out of fuel. It will even shut off completely sometimes. Pull over, clear codes with bully dog, and its fine for a while.

My buddy has the truck in FL right now, and he said it just did all of the above again on Alligator Alley just 10 mins ago. I told him not to jump the fence if he has to go look for help.

Mods possibly affecting: AIRAID INTAKE, BULLY DOG POWER PUP

·
Registered
345 Posts
My truck throws the 0401, and 0087 ??..and shuts down.

Seems to only happen when in Florida for some reason, not sure if its the temperature, elevation perhaps, salt in the air? LOL

When it happens, the light comes on, interior chime will ding, and then the truck feels like its running out of fuel. It will even shut off completely sometimes. Pull over, clear codes with bully dog, and its fine for a while.

My buddy has the truck in FL right now, and he said it just did all of the above again on Alligator Alley just 10 mins ago. I told him not to jump the fence if he has to go look for help.

Mods possibly affecting: AIRAID INTAKE, BULLY DOG POWER PUP

p0087 is a Fuel Rail/ System Pressure- Too Low

How long has it been since you have changed your fuel filter? That can cause the truck to run out of fuel in the rail.

The p0401 is most likely from the air-aid intake, but i wouldn't think it would cause it to run bad.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I never had any cel lights on for this till today i towed our toyhauler and not even really in the gas hard it came on. So i cleared the codes with the Bullydog while still driving down the road and next time i took off it did it again. So what is the fix for this 0401 egr code? Seems to trigger it with partial throttle towing as i have been driving/dragging it without trailer for weeks with no trouble except for one overboost code while hitting about 130 mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts