Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1994 K2500 Suburban 6.5 turbo.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PMD is mounted behind the upper grill and when I unplugged it to remove the grill to clean and paint the cooling stack I noticed there is NO resistor inside the plug of the PMD. Truck runs fine and I suspect the last guy that worked on it left the resistor on the original PMD. Also I can not identify the maker of the relocated PMD it only has the numbers 15170 on it with 3 paint dots white green and red. Any clue to what brand it is? Thinking of buying a flight systems for behind the bumper amd leaving this one installed as a instant plug in backup.

·
Administrator
16,750 Posts
The ECM is supposed to revert into the #1 resistor mode when one is not detected. Many with no resistor have reported a no-start condition until the resistor was installed.
Flight Systems or DTech are goto brands.
Stanadyne is the OEM brand but is very hard to come by today.
Look carefully at the PMD for any brand logo or other stamp. The 15170 is not producing any info for me

Reactions: Shanejeep5

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OK! Any preference from you on flight systems or DTech? I searched all over and could not find any manufacturers information on my PMD except for that one number and paint marks on it. Thinking it's a cheap import part. It is also mounted on a gold anodized heat sink not sure if they can together. One would think that our computers would throw a code for no resistor even though OBD1 was fairly simple. Now it has me thinking if my suburban will have more power with a resistor in it since it seems fine for what it is without one now. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
16,750 Posts
Either, or will do... Just stay away from the ones that state " Used, tested good" on eBay or any other site.
That is equivalent to picking one up off the ground in a junkyard and trying it..
The resistor only changes the fuel map in a minuscule amount. Doubtful you'll ever notice any changes

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured thank you. And any parts I get will be brand new of course as you end up with a junk yard rig using junk yard parts with the exception of body parts and the like.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,883 Posts
There are a few symptoms for no resistor that I have read.
-The latest one was just not starting.
-Nothing, like what happen to you.
-Never show any DTC on OBD-I or OBD-II.

I would not worry about it and just buy a resistor and put it in.
You don't want to it to not start when you are not home.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,246 Posts
I think the Dtech module is American made but I could be wrong on that one but I’ve only used new grey stanadyne pmds on my truck.I also put a narrow bead of rtv sealer around the base of the pmd when bolted to the heat sink just to keep water from getting between it and the heat sink.Works well anyway.No issues.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Before you install a resistor check up at the connection near the injection pump to make sure they didn't put it there instead of in the PMD. One of the trucks I bought it was that way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help looks like I won't be driving it today until I can check the plug for the extension . a lot of great help here I really appreciate it.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before you install a resistor check up at the connection near the injection pump to make sure they didn't put it there instead of in the PMD. One of the trucks I bought it was that way.
Just got home from work and I fished out the connector up by the IP and no resistor in the plug for the extension. I was hoping to find one as that would answer my question of how it still runs great. Just going to order a good quality relocation from DTech or flight systems. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts