Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spare recently bit the dust with violent surges and loss of engine control... pretty much an awesome feeling. Mine was DIY remote mounted but wasn't done properly and was done in a hurry, so this time I did it a little different. There are many posts and searches on how to DIY, so I put the title nice and simple, and I even included pictures (yay... pictures). Keep in mind that this is my way, and will have its downsides no doubt, and only time will tell how long this will last.

1. Purchased BRAND NEW Dipeco D-Tech PMD/FSD (Mine came with an extension harness, I already had one, so it wasn't needed, but a harness IS needed.)

2. Remove fried PMD from FSDCooler (was on the truck when purchased, relocated from intake hat to bumper after frying original FSD one year ago.)

3. Removed residue from previous FSD with a razor blade, then smoothed with 600 grit sand paper, then washed well and dried well. (Forgot pics, sorry.)

4. Removed plastic transistor guards (Some do, some don't, I went with the "Do" crowd.) This exposed the fact that the D-Tech transistor nuts have been epoxied in place with a black epoxy to prevent them from backing off. Smart guys.

5. Mounted FSD to FSDCooler using the provided thermal gasket. (would have used Arctic Silver, but didn't have any and was too far from any.)

6. Torqued down on 4 screws

7. Put a bead of high-temp RTV Gasket material (all that I had, it seemed to work well) around the entire PMD.

8. Put a drop of RTV into the top of every screw hole

9. Bolted the FSDCooler to the bumper using a small bolt thru one of the holes the lower valence used to hang from (mine is gone)

Diff. Angle:

10. Plug in and drive... all issues have been solved for me... for now!

I hope this system works, as I said, Only time will tell, but I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice write up with pics. Been debating if I should RTV mine or not.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Good replacement, good install. Glad you started with a new PMD!

Thanks for including the pics and the details!

A little hint with the RTV? Use a smaller bead, right at the 90* where the PMD meets the heat-sink... run it around 2 sides at a time. Then spit on your fingertip (yep, it's gross, but get it good and slimey) and run it around those 2 sides, like you're trying to push the RTV into the crack. Clean your finger of the spit and the excess RTV, and then repeat for the other 2 sides.

You'll get a nice clean, consistent bead with no gaps or open edges.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yea the RTV went on too think, but while it looks like it isnt really sealed, it was think enough so the outside dried first, like a water balloon, and then i was able to thoroughly spread the inner liquid around the whole PMD... I have faith in its sealed-ness :D

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,410 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take pictures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you mean too THICK or too THIN?

Thanks, yea the RTV went on too think, but while it looks like it isnt really sealed, it was think enough so the outside dried first, like a water balloon, and then i was able to thoroughly spread the inner liquid around the whole PMD... I have faith in its sealed-ness :D
Looks thick in the pics... please clarify. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
this is almost exactly how I did mine... the only difference is I used a piece of steel (the kind with holes) across two of the valance holes, and mounted the heat sink to that. One bolt goes through the valance hole, the steel, and the heat sink, the other just the heat sink and steel. oh yeah, I used black RTV, too....

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,685 Posts
Did you use some arctic silver5 where the fsd mounts to the heatsink? would probably help with getting the heat transferred to the heatsink.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
RTV is a bad choice. It releases acid fumes as it cures. Acid can be trapped inside. The Dtech can't be sealed real good as the outside cover just pops off. :eek:

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,410 Posts
This is mine:

I just used Arctic Silver 5, left over from building 2 computers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
RTV is a bad choice. It releases acid fumes as it cures. Acid can be trapped inside. The Dtech can't be sealed real good as the outside cover just pops off. :eek:
Not all types, DieselPro. If you can't smell the vinegar, burning your nose type smell, when you hold it up to your nose, it should be ok. Otherwise, I agree with you.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,410 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.