Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way into work today the engine behaved as though the fuel was gelled. It was warmer this morning, only 5 below zero. With the 10 below weather we just went through the engine ran fine. I am running polar diesel fuel and added anti-gel too. Could I have a plugged fuel filter? I made it to work but don't dare drive the truck home for fear of being stranded. I don't know the 6.5L engine that well, just bought the truck this fall. Can someone tell me where and how to change the fuel filter on the 6.5L diesel?
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
943 Posts
Do you by any chance happen to have an owner's manual in the glove box?

About an inch thick, black, leathery lookin thing?

If so, the instructions on how to change your fuel filter are in it.

If not, c'mon back to the computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, truck did not come with manual. If I could get some basic instructions, along with where to find the filter that would be great!
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
The fuel filter is located at the firewall ontop of the engine. If you have the plastic cover on you might have to take it off to get to it but no big deal. The filter is round and has a knurled top to twist off with your hand. Hope this helps and if I were you I would get a manual for this truck. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
When you take it off check for a small screen in the bottom of the bowl. It can get stuck in the filter and come out. If it does put it back in, the filters do not come with this screen.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My truck is a 96 and you do not have to take the plastic cover off the engine. You are looking for a filter inside a canister at the back of the engine like the others have said. It is about the size of a large soup can. It is buried back there pretty good but once you locate it it is easy.

Once you get the new filter fastened in place there is a bleeder on top of the filter to help you get the air out of the filter housing before you try to restart the engine.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Open the t-valve with the lift pump running before changing the filter to drain any trash or water. Then again after changing the filter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
When changing the filter for the first time pay close attention to the "tabs" on top of the filter housing after the filter is pulled up and out. The large tab goes toward the front only. The filter will gently drop into the tabs with slight pressure if everything is lined up.
Your best shot for a leak free install is the first shot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I found the issue!

I changed my glow plugs last week and in the process I moved the "rubber" bypass hoses around that are daisy-chained acroos the injectors. I would guess the hoses are brittle. Based on the fuel leak I detected on the left side of the engine of the engine, adjacent to the injector, I am probably allowing air into the fuel system? I will replace the lines. Can I use fuel line hose or is the hose unique because it handles diesel fuel? Does anyone know what size hose I need? The Chevy dealer could not tell me the hose size. thanks - Mike

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
CharlieP.;1579297; said:
When changing the filter for the first time pay close attention to the "tabs" on top of the filter housing after the filter is pulled up and out. The large tab goes toward the front only. The filter will gently drop into the tabs with slight pressure if everything is lined up.
Your best shot for a leak free install is the first shot.

Be very careful with the rubber seal around the filter...also the thin aluminum gasket. While handling the filter and trying to line up the tabs, sometimes your fingers will loosen these gaskets. When you go to put the filter on, that thin aluminum gasket can be crushed and cause a leak. The aluminum gasket sits on the inside of the rubber gasket.

Just a heads up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts