Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my truck started acting up. I'd go to take off hard and the engine would bog out bad. I had no SES light on, no water in fuel message, just bogging out. So I changed filters and no water and no gelling, the high today is 3*. Put the new filter on and the truck runs like a raped ape. So my question is could the filter have plugged on one bad tank of fuel or several tanks? Ultra-Low sulfer fuel maybe? I buy my fuel at a truck stop and use Stanadyne Proformance Formula every tank. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Do you have an aux. filter?

·
Registered
334 Posts
you sure it wasnt gelled? the filter will plug first if it does gel. cut the old filter open and see if it is plugged with dirt etc. wil

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Fuel from different vendors has different characteristics. Fuel when it is cold out will form wax crystals first before gelling. The wax crystals will not flow through your fuel filter and will block the flow. Warming up the element will restore flow. So, if you have to replace the fuel filter due to waxing, don't throw it away, just place it somewhere to warm up. Try running a good dose of additive in your fuel and ask the station that you buy your fuel from what kind of blend it is and what tempatures it is rated at. You might have to contact the refinery that makes the fuel to find out the specifics. I have heard that the new ULSD has more wax in it than the old fuel. My filter was waxing yesterday as was a friends 06 lbz, but we were a bit colder at -20F. Today it was fine at around 0.:cool:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About a month ago my low-boy tractor at work waxxed up. The repair shop I take it to told me that if the filters are gelled up that the gelled fuel will go back to liquid when warmed up but a waxxed filter will not. A friend of mine has had similar fuel filter problems on his truck and his kids truck. So maybe there is some true that ULSD has more wax in it. Also I don't have an aux. filter.

·
Registered
535 Posts
aprr454;1571104; said:
About a month ago my low-boy tractor at work waxxed up. The repair shop I take it to told me that if the filters are gelled up that the gelled fuel will go back to liquid when warmed up but a waxxed filter will not. A friend of mine has had similar fuel filter problems on his truck and his kids truck. So maybe there is some true that ULSD has more wax in it. Also I don't have an aux. filter.
That does not make much sense. Running warm fuel through the filter will melt the wax crystals in the filter and get it flowing again.

I do not know if cold fuel treated with an anti-gel additive will do the same, though I would guess that it would.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone used Diesel 911 from Powerservice? If I understand it's a thawing additive? Does it work?

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Be careful with 911. I think it has alcohol in it to melt ice. I could be wrong can't remember for sure, what I do remember is that it should only be used as a last resort, it isn't real good for the fuel system.

As for waxing, the wax goes back into suspension when the fuel is warmed. A hair dryer on the fuel filter will get an engine running, but might not keep it running if the ambient temps are real low. Only real good solution is a stiff dose of #1 fuel to help lower the pour points. Also rembember not to add fuel additive if the additive has been allowed to get real cold. Needs to be room tempature and then needs to be mixed well with the fuel. I have seen fuel additives gell at higher temps than the fuel by itself. It appears that the additive has to mix with fuel to have the benefit, similar to antifreeze having to mix with water.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't the fuel filter mount have a fuel heater on it? Or is the fuel heater somewhere else?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I just dealt with about5 machines that waxed up last week because they were filled in the summer and are still on the lot. The wax WILL NOT return to liquid when warmed up. I thought this to but i left the filters in the shop all night and still about 1/2 cup of white wax oozed out of them. I replaced filters with new, drained the tanks and filled with #1 winter blend. I had to track a 365 about a mile to get to where i could work on it and had to change the filters 3 times., a 330D from brazil made it about 150 feet before it was waxed up. I left the barrels of fuel in the shop and the next day they still hax wax scum on the top of them. My boss took them home for his furnace oil, i warned him and he said "oh the wax will melt". He called me last night and asked me to dig out the fuel tansfer pump for him so he could pump his tank :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
will w;1570057; said:
you sure it wasnt gelled? the filter will plug first if it does gel. cut the old filter open and see if it is plugged with dirt etc. wil
Good idea to cut open the filter and see what is wrong...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts