Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Chev 2500HD with a Duramax and Allison, I have been told that a Blizzard 810 or a Fisher X Blade are too heavy for the front end of my truck. Several people have told me that I need to limit the weight of the plow because of the already substantial weight of the Duramax and Trans. I really am tempted to ignore these warnings as I have also found mechanics that disagree and are willing to install either one. Does anyone out there have a heavy plow on there 2500HD with Duramax and if so can you give me some info about your success or failure? Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated and soon, Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hey i have an Artic 8ft poly with removable wings. Plow weights 983lbs.
Truck wasn't bad with torsion bars cranked up, but i put timbrens in the front and made the front stand up when plow was raised, instead of sagging.

Check the weight of the plows you are looking at and judge from there. Don't forget the plow will be off the truck until it snows and even when it does snow its on the ground more than its up. So the actual time its putting weight on the front end isn't much, but still don't go hog wild.

My opinion would not to go too much heavier than what i run, as i think you might start getting a little too close to the max capabilities and might be asking for problems. Put 1000lbs of ballast in the back of the truck and that will help your front end from sagging quite a bit and give you better traction. Later Jeremy

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
The regular cab D/A's should be able to take pretty much anything without a problem. You'll see lot's of plow models spec'd to fit them.

The problem is when you go crew cab. They know contractors are gonna want to load the truck with salt... salt equipment, 10 men and a boy.

I have no extra equipment and I'm the only passenger. Not the smartest thing to do but i did it anyway.
I think this plow is in the 950 lb range....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is an extended cab witha 6" bed so Im probably lighter in the rear end than you guys. Hey Hoot, did you adjust the tortion bars at all on your rig? The Blizzard 810 weighs 950 and the fisher weighs about 800 so the specs say!I really dont want to load the back of my truck with 1000 lbs, maybe 10 fitty lb bags of sand. Hoot do you counter the wieght in the rear of your rig, it looks pretty high? Thanks guys. Mike

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
10 x 60lbs @ sand tubes available at home depot. Cost $25. They are nice because it's in sealed plastic.

That was the recommended ballast for that plow. I don't think the ballast was in there yet in that pic plus the plow is on the ground. I'll get another shot sometime with the plow up.

My bars were already turned up for the tires. Now with the plow up i get minor inner wheel well rubbing at full lock.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
For the record... the Dodge with the straight axle doesn't do any better holding a heavy plow than our trucks...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hoot,

My 2002 Ram 2500 (Cummins/2nd Gen body style) does a whole lot better. With 750# ballast in the bed and the plow lifted in "V" position the lower edges are approx 10" - 12" off of the ground. The front and rear of the truck only squat about 3/4" with the blade lifted and ballast in the bed. The main difference is that my truck was ordered to plow -- Plow prep package (5200# FAGW), Camper and Trailer packages. I have plowed with many vehicles over the years, I started with a 1972 CJ5 and currently run the Ram (8.5 Fisher V)and a F700 (10.5' Western commercial heavyweight). I have had the best operation with solid front axles (2 and 4 wheel drive) over the years.

In your picture that 3rd Gen Ram looks very low in the front -- does it have the plow package on it?

Just my $.02 -- JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Don't know if it has the plow package but that is a 9'2 plow. Makes the ends hang lower.

Also i'm not sure of the design geometry of the different brand V plows. All depends on the point of rotation when the plow is raised.

That picture came from plowsite.com. Notice also the truck is parked in the grass.... green grass. That also makes the plow seem lower. It was a great pic to help the GM look good

Just wondering though why there would be any other reason the plow might raise higher. After all the peculiar kits always bring the attach point to similar levels.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
depends on cab config. The bizzard is a heavy MF(a shade over a grand?). an 8'6" fisher is in the low 8's and the 9'6" are around 70# more. My truck squats less than 1.5" with the blade rasied but it handles it very well.

I've got a reg cab and I am running 8-900 in the back(recomended is 1000#) You should run balast anywho just for the traction with the plow raised. JMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts