Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here plowing with the duramax, just wondering if you use the grill cover or not, i always plowed with a gasser and it would run a little hot with no cover.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Grill cover "only" on all winter does not seem to get hot,maybe a little increase in temp but not much

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same here, grille cover only. lower cover I think will interfere with the plow mount. No temp issue at all.

·
Registered
351 Posts
PLowing with the grill cover on always seemed to get an increase in tranny temp. Engine temp never got hot. My D/A 3500 was pushing a 9'er.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Thinking about a Boss for my Crew Cab Short bed.

Is this a no-no? GM does not offer the prep on this truck.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hoot...

I have seen some of them running around town.... But I beleive it puts the front over it Manuf. Rec. weight. So you may have trouble getting someone to install it..... A friend that plows commercially could not get a CC for that reason....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Why anyone would take a nice truck, with a Duramax/Allison, and put a snow plow on the front is beyond me. Worst thing you can do to a pickup truck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hoot,

I work for Boss and I know of one person here that has a straight steel (lighter than poly...and lighter than V Blade). ISurvivedNMU is right....they don't recommend it because of weight. We have a guy in the shop that installs them for us, but finding a dealer to do it might be a little tough.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Pick said:
Why anyone would take a nice truck, with a Duramax/Allison, and put a snow plow on the front is beyond me. Worst thing you can do to a pickup truck.

Different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Hoot,

Not sure if this helps you or not but I was told GM doesn't offer the plow prep group on the crew cab because they don't think the frame can handle the extra waite. It's the same reason for them not offering it on the ext. cab with an 8 foot bed. I'm not sure I really believe it but that's what they told me.

Poolrebel

hoot said:
Thinking about a Boss for my Crew Cab Short bed.

Is this a no-no? GM does not offer the prep on this truck.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I agree with Pick....Instead of subjecting my $47K MSRP truck to all that severe service, I would rather have an old beater to plow snow, or hire somebody who owns one.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I don't agree with you guys on putting a plow on an new HD.
Different stroxe like MAX says.

If was talking commercial plowing...than yes.. I agree.
I'm considering a plow for personal and some light side money. I have a parking lot I get $100 for everytime I scrape it. (I usually have some old beater every fall) That price will go up and I have tons of $20-$40 driveways I can hit.

I figure $3500-$4000 for the plow installed. A decent beater with a plow costs at least that plus I have to pay insurance, maint tax tags.

I here the Boss frame is pretty inconspicuous. I see plows on just about every type of 4x4 vehicle ever made. Heck I had a 62 Willys Jeep a couple of years ago with a Meyers... An 86 Full size Blazer with a full size plow. You name it... they put them on it.

I can put a plow on this but not on Diesel HEAVY DUTY HD truck?

I have someone that will install it for sure.
My driveway is 600ft... I have family that relies on me.

Thanks for the responses. Still haven't decided for sure. The Timbrens should handle the extra wieght. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hoot.

My friend has a regual cab with the boss v blade.. I know he likes the ease of putting it on and taking it off... but he is looking into a 2 inch lift because the mount sits so low on the front off the truck. He cannot go up a steep grade into a residential or commercial parking lot with out hitting..... Especially with the plow on... I think there is 4 inches of clearance with the plow on... You would have no trouble with the bigger tires... But he did have to cut hi airdam in the middle... makes his fog lights shake at highway speeds.... Hope this helps..

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Yup......why buy a HD truck and put it to work?

Different strokes for different folks......putting a plow on a new truck obviously made lots of sense to me

I dont understand why people need a 47k msrp(who the heck pays that anywho?) to go to the local wallyworld and they sure as hell dont need to put a chip on it(even if they are pulling a big 5er) I'm not saying anyone needs or dosnt need thier truck or making any implications about anyone. I could care less what anyone else does its thier money and thier buissnes. I do dissagree to going into a post with no intention but to stir a pot. I dont know.....maybe I missjudged you and you just clicked on the first link and ended up here, or really want to know the rational about why someone would do such a thing.....but my cynical side says you saw a post about plowing on a site littered with 47k msrp trucks and figured you would throw your 2 cents in about how it wasnt a bright idea. Sorry.....off my soapbox

Hoot, my Fisher frame is very inconspicuous. The other manufactures are pretty much the same. My truck drops close to 1.5" with the timbres and thats with a 9'6" V blade(close to 900# I believe)

I have been trying to decide the same thing.....I'm not worried about h2o but the trany getting warm though. All trucks are different.....most dielsles I have ran I ran without the cover when plowing but those were part of the fleet(powerstrokes) I am planning on trying it with the cover and if the trany starts to creep up there I will just yank it....only takes a minute. I was hoping to get the SS ones and just leave the top but I wont be getting the cold fronts since they wont fit my planned grill

Here is a good site BTW http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/forums/index.php

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Hoot, 500' of driveway. I don' like having a plow on my truck but I have to. Its not worth having another vehicle around just for that task. I use the Western UltraMount and its reasonably inconspicuous, at least I think so. The mounting setup is strong and literally takes seconds to attach or remove. Another feature that I liked was the plow is on a pivot which makes for a cleaner plowing on unlevel surfaces.

Edit: to fix pic for ya,hope you don't mind ...Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the help with the cover, guess ill try it and see what happens,i plow for a living and need a dependable truck not some piece of crap.If you dont use a hd for work why own one?I can go to the store in my jeep.

·
Registered
444 Posts
stretch:

NICE shine on that truck... Had to put my sun glasses on .

Everyone - Watch those tranny temps very carefully. I know a few guys who blew their tranny's last year plowing the heavy snow we had. Then again, they were not Chevy's

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hoot the snow plow prep package gives slightly larger torsion bars and "timbren" like bumperstoppers for the suspension. This helps. they also think that you need to put ballast behind the rear axle to lghten and change the balance load on the front axle. I turn my bars up a little in the winter because I have plowed the last two winters with a Fisher plow with "wings" giving me a width of 10' I plow a Home Depot lot with one other truck for help. Usually if it is a good snow 4" or more this involves 6 hours to 24 hours straight. I use the winter cover on the radiator part and took it off the bottom part where the tranny cooler is. The fisher minute mount is nearly inconspicous. I am attaching two photos.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm using my old 88 gmc sierra reg cab longbed w a fisher for my plowing...thats the only thing thats hitting these salt laden streets up here..my new silverado will be in the garage til the streets are cleaned up! some friends of mine think i'm nuts!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've never plowed with the cover on. Engine temps never seem to get to operating temps, but they get close. Tranny temps never got above 175, usually hung around 150-160 (and that was before transynd/deep pan).

I plow with a crew cab/long bed. I'm 400-500 lbs over front axle rating with the plow on and 600 lbs ballast. I'm not too worried about it. If the frame can't take the extra weight for the little time it's on every year, it shouldn't be called a HD. It really worked on my conscious to put this truck through the abuse the first winter, but it's been the best plowing truck I've had (except for it's length). The D-Max is actually my "back-up" plow. Only used when we get hammered.

Hoot - The Fisher mount isn't too noticeable.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts