1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
I want to get rid of these gd fuel lines under the intake and the factory fuel manager. Im in south florida so I dont need a heater. My choices are the airdog pump/ filter setup or this racor
https://ptwiringsolutions.com/products/racor-fuel-filter-water-seperator-kit?fbclid=IwAR2YmLI6OgxmV0QbQHgkZ53lvx8NeQuu1mItGXCfaJm_ljkpuGqvDVTWY0I
Which would you choose or do you have a better option.
Thanks!
The Airdog is fine for the 6.5L but it is overkill for the wallet as far as the pump goes.
The IP only needs 5psi constant to be happy.

I would run the Racor filtration and keep the OEM Lift pump.
If at a later time you wanted to upgrade the lift pump I would recommend a Kennedy Single lift pump.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks! My work truck so not looking to mod more than necessary.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
As said. Filtration is good. But pump is not needed for a stock or mildly modded truck.
If you want a little more pressure. Replace the stock LP with one for a 93 6.5. They put out more pressure than later models.
Instead of an expensive pump you might want to consider a better exhaust system. Stock system is pretty restrictive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I’ve been wanting to put an exhaust for a while. I’m pretty sure my cross over pipe is crunched inside. They don’t make a kit for a c3500hd. I’need to find someone that can modify the down pipe of a diamond eye system.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,811 Posts
Unless your 2002 is really special custom made truck, I think the DE system will fit.

Now, the application guide may not go up to 2002 since there are very limited production of 6.5L diesel. IIRC, the 1st gen D-max came out at that same time frame. So, all the application guide knows only of the D-max and forget to include a 2002 6.5L.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The c3500hd is a cab and chassis only model. It’s got a massive frame , The down pipe needs to be lengthened I believe about 4”
I’ve got a pic of it in my profile. You can notice the difference in the front grill area.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is one expensive filter kit. I paid about 20 to 25 for each of the filter heads I used. I made my own lines with brass barbs and 30R9 fuel hose. With the 93 lift pump, I never see below 5 psi at WOT under load.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a leak in the ffm or line to the ip cause a loss in prime and make the truck hard to start after sitting over night? Also seems to stop leaking after a while of running. Do these symptoms help narrow the culprit?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it looks like I may have caused another problem . I have been turning the key on and off several times before starting in the morning to fill the ffm and line to the ip. I think I may have damaged my glow plug relay by doing this. Dtc p0380 came up

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
So it looks like I may have caused another problem . I have been turning the key on and off several times before starting in the morning to fill the ffm and line to the ip. I think I may have damaged my glow plug relay by doing this. Dtc p0380 came up
DTC P0380-Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction

Check all fuses.

Verify that you have 12v power going into the glow plug relay.
With the assistance of a friend or a family member have them turn the IGN key a few times while you verify 12v power coming from the glow plug relay to the glow plugs.
If the relay test fails then replace it with an AC/Delco brand only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure why you would want to change something that works perfect and is cheap for the application it's intended for...other than leaks...but thats an application/replacement - tighten hose clamps - error. If anything just mount it higher or out of the valley and put longer hoses on it if you're that tore up about it. I left mine where it is but ran 3 times the length of hose for when i unbolt the ffm or manifold i dont have to pop any fuel lines open. Simple. Never had a leak from it either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please help me choose a system (UPDATE!)

So I went with the kit from pt wireless.
Very nice set up. Now with the old fuel manager out of the way , I can look up to the back of the ip. I can see the leak. Its dripping down right under the plug in the middle of all the out put lines. I don’t believe fuel can leak from there and I’m assuming it’s one of the output lines. Looks like I’m gonna have to pull the manifold. Has anyone come up with a miracle way to tighten these without removing the intake ? Looks impossible but I don’t put it past someone here that’s come up with a trick:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gerrr!! Took the manifold off still can’t tell exactly where the leak is. I know it’s coming from below the middle of the ip in the back . Possibly from one of the four lower output lines or that center area where the wire to the pmd comes out. Frustrating... I don’t have a special socket to reach those lower lines anyway if they’re loose. Help!

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
Gerrr!! Took the manifold off still can’t tell exactly where the leak is. I know it’s coming from below the middle of the ip in the back . Possibly from one of the four lower output lines or that center area where the wire to the pmd comes out. Frustrating... I don’t have a special socket to reach those lower lines anyway if they’re loose. Help!
You might find/rent an inspection camera to help locate the leak better

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can see everything fine now with a mirror . I just can’t tell. I might hook the grounds back up a start it without the intake although I’m very nervous about doing that. Is it possible to have a leak coming from that middle area we’re the lines come out? ( not actually from the lines themselves? If it is a line how can I fix? Just tighten? Is there an o ring in there ?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The fuel hose from the FFM goes under the intake and to the IP.
20 years isn't gonna be nice to rubber. Or the injector lines at the pump could be leaking.

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
It could be possible the oring on the fuel solenoid is bad, causing a leak or it could be a split hard injector line at the connector or.. the connector is loose

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that the big round deal in between the lines? I was wondering if that unscrewed. It looks like it’s leaking from there. Anyways I lost my patience with it yesterday and put it all back together. The truck had to be back in service for tomorrow. I’ll have to pull it all back apart over xmas. Can you explain how that piece comes apart?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts