Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I don't know jack.....

.... about diesels, really, except from what I've learned from this site.

I'm thinking of buying a Diesel truck for a few reasons:

-Towing
-Better MPG on a tow vehicle
-Longevity of the engine (something that will last long past 100,000 miles)

So, now I've heard about this ULSD that is coming this year. I've done a search here and found lots of warnings about what it will do to the cost of diesel and these trucks.... but it doesn't really mean much since I don't have a point of reference (since I don't have a diesel)

-Will the increased costs nullify the MPG benefits? (including cost of additives)
-Will less lubrication reduce the longevity difference bwt Diesel and gas engines?
-Will the engine be less powerful and nullify the towing benefit?

please help me, as I'm ignorant:eek:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Along with the ULSD the manufacturers will have to include DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filters) on the trucks with diesel engines. None have released the prices yet, but you can expect anywhere from $1,500 to $4,000 in price increase.

The additional wear will most likely be confined to the injectors themselves and there has been some talk about the oil companies adding a lubricity additive to the diesel, but that is unknown yet as well. As far as engine longevity, the gas engine won't get close to what the diesel is capeable of even with the ULSD.

Power wise, the horsepower/torque wars will continue between GM D-max, Furd Have-a-Strokes and Come-aparts I'm sure. We won't likely loose much if any, we'll probably gain some just to keep up with the other guy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Along with the ULSD the manufacturers will have to include DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filters) on the trucks with diesel engines. None have released the prices yet, but you can expect anywhere from $1,500 to $4,000 in price increase.

Power wise, the horsepower/torque wars will continue between GM D-max, Furd Have-a-Strokes and Come-aparts I'm sure. We won't likely loose much if any, we'll probably gain some just to keep up with the other guy.
Will owners of currently owned Diesels have to add this "DPF"?

How will the power/torque be affected on 6.2 and 6.5L diesels?

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Buying a diesel has not made financial sense for about 3 years now.....unless the majority of your miles are spent towing.

ULSD is good in terms of cleaning our air, but bad in terms of cost and possibly wear. Possibly a benefit when one thinks about the barriers holding back diesels from being more mainstream too. If more vehices can pass emissions req's, more diesels will be sold.

Math: assuming that the truck is not sold for 20+ years (how long I intend to hold on to mine) Cost are based on 100,000 miles use.

Diesel option: ~$5000. Fuel costs assuming a (conservative for my area) $.50 / gallon price difference between diesel and low test gas.

Mileage: assume 16 mpg for a diesel, 12 mpg for a gasser. (In town) for half of the trucks life. (50,000 miles) and 19 highway for a diesel, 14 for a gasser for the other 50,000 miles on the truck.

Fuel cost for 100k miles diesel: ~5700 gallons at $3.00 = ~ $17,000

Fuel cost for 100k gasser: ~6600 gallons at 2.50 = ~ $16,670.

Not to mention increased insurance cost, maintenance cost, increased taxes, not to mention the cost of having to get something fixed (injectors, head gasket, fuel pump, etc) on a diesel.

It is really nothing more than a novelty item for the wealthy now.

Of course all of this changes if you assume $,75 cent per gallon homemade biodiesel...but I dont think we can call that realistic for most.

I would definetly not buy a new one now. If anything Ide look at a gently used LB7 that has already taken the severe depreciation hit from GM's price cuts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good info MannyTranny.

BTW, here you can find diesel for $0.18 more than the 87 gas. Using your formula, that makes the diesel favorable. (I guess the question is wheather the diesel price will hold that close to gas price)

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Really? Thats decent.

If I had a million bucks i still wouldnt buy anything newer than an LB7. but thats just me.......

Quick math......a 20 cent gap between diesel and gas gives the diesel a $1000 advantage at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I'll pay ,just to have the xtra cojones...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
with the wild swing fuel has taken the last few year I'm not sure if I'd go that route again myself, unless I had a trailer I was constantly pulling. Now I do haul often, but tow very little.

I doubt I'll ever go back to a gas 4 wheeler, but good chance if I was buying today, I'd be in some VW TDI for economy purposes.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts