Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an in-bed fuel tank from Northern Tool. Mounted and piped it into the fuel filler. Shook the tank upside down before mounting and it seemed perfectly clean.

Put a clear in-line fuel filter from it to the main tank. First tank of fuel through it and the in-line fuel filter completly plugged with black plastic. I had bought a plastic fuel tank.

Cleaned the fuel filter out and filled the tank again. How many ways are there to say STUPID?

Tried to use the tank this past week on a 3K run. Plugged the filter again with tiny plastic debris. DAMM but I'm sure some is getting past that screen and into the main fuel-tank and filter.

Yes, tomorrow I will drain 30 gal of diesel remaining in the tank out and
throw it out???? Don't know how but somehow I must remove the tank, dump it upside down and purge/clean the tank.

Now the future will hold the answer to whether I ruined my fuel system with that darn tank. Beware of plastic fuel tanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
CaptainMal

I am looking at putting a storage tank in the box of my new truck. I have diesel. I tried to look on the internet and didn't find much in terms of suppliers of fuel tank. I was looking for the electric pump style...Does yours plug directly to the truck main fuel tank?

What is the brand name? Do you have a pic?

I probably do not need as much fuel as you would but want to take the truck up north on the summer holidays and the diesel is fare and few in between. I would like to have spare fuel along. Any tips and experience you may share would be appreciated..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Captainmal

You might have gotten some into your main tank, (maybe) but even if you did, I wouldn't worry about it if you change your main fuel filter regularly and I'm sure you do. You might change it early a time or two, but I really don't see how little bits of plastic can get through that filter. Also DO NOT fill your filter canister up with diesel when you change filters, if you have some dirt or plastic in the canister, it could put it on the clean side of the filter and then you would suck it up into your main pump and your injectors, then you would have problems.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Canadian Frank,

P. 51 in the Northern Tool and Equipment Co. catalog. 800-533-5545.

Did not pump it but used a marine squeeze ball, in-line fuel filter and a brass hose barb drilled and tapped into the filler tube. That tube comes out easily with 4 screws and a hose clamp. Also put a brass shut-off valve right above the pick-up line. Works on air pressure, syphon style. Turn on the valve, squeeze the bulb, watch through the clear filter and go about your business.

Have an opening side window on the cap. Tank is mounted against the front of the bed. Easy to access. Fills slowly though. Not much faster than the rate of consumption while towing. Lower fuel levels in the tank would probably slosh around and lose prime which would stop the flow. Have not had that problem yet because I have fueled before it ran down very much or drained it while stopped.

A pump and remote/tank gauge would be helpful but this works so I quit fooling with it.

RINSE IT OUT BEFORE FILLING. I STILL HAVE PLASTIC PLUGGING UP THE IN-LINE FUEL FILTER.

It was an easy installation with no glitches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Captain Mal

Thanks.

Used the name you provided and found their site right away on the net.

Surfing for the item..

I found a lead on a Truck part retailer in Saskatoon, appx 3 hrs North of me. I will make a Trip there in two weeks and see what they have in stock. The name is " Grand West"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts