Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0 Gasser. 2003 Monte
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned nothing but Chevrolet’s for a long time, I will have to say that there’s times that I look at something that Chevy does and shack my head.

The location that Chevrolet put the fill hole for the DEF for my 2019 2500, LP5 is one of those times, it took me to long today to put a 2.5 gallon jug in my truck and the DEF tank was around 1/4, full possibly 3/8 and it’s a 7 gallon tank.

Is there a trick to get the DEF in quicker with out spilling it everywhere on these trucks?My truck is still under warranty so I can’t change until 2023 and I prefer things be stock anyway for now.

Please share your input,

Mike

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
It's been fixed changed on the 2020HD's and on all 3.0's in the 1500's. Filler now beside the fuel filler.

Cubes that are supplied with a flex hose have a tip small enough to fit into the smaller diameter that starts an inch or so below the top of the fill tube. Ensure the flex tube is in far enough. Tube in all the way and I've not had issues with it spilling.

Nozzles at bulk pumps are also small enough that they will into the small diameter portion of the fill tube.
Trucks with the under hood fill location may need to have the truck 'backwards' in the fuel bay because the dispensing pump will be on the driver side (for normal direction) and the hose may not be long enough to conveniently reach across.

Used cubes for many years, but since bulk became conveniently available I've quit using the cubes.

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0 Gasser. 2003 Monte
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been fixed changed on the 2020HD's and on all 3.0's in the 1500's. Filler now beside the fuel filler.

Cubes that are supplied with a flex hose have a tip small enough to fit into the smaller diameter that starts an inch or so below the top of the fill tube. Ensure the flex tube is in far enough. Tube in all the way and I've not had issues with it spilling.

Nozzles at bulk pumps are also small enough that they will into the small diameter portion of the fill tube.
Trucks with the under hood fill location may need to have the truck 'backwards' in the fuel bay because the dispensing pump will be on the driver side (for normal direction) and the hose may not be long enough to conveniently reach across.

Used cubes for many years, but since bulk became conveniently available I've quit using the cubes.
Mine is under the hood, I don’t live close to any major highways so I use the cube. If I’m understanding you correctly I need a funnel that is small enough to go down into the fill tube. The funnel that I have been using doesn’t go down into the tube, it just set’s in the top portion of the fill tube and I have to pour very slowly and even stop at times.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Mine is under the hood, I don’t live close to any major highways so I use the cube. If I’m understanding you correctly I need a funnel that is small enough to go down into the fill tube. The funnel that I have been using doesn’t go down into the tube, it just set’s in the top portion of the fill tube and I have to pour very slowly and even stop at times.
The cubes I was using came with a flex hose/tube that screwed onto the neck of the jug.

The delivery end of this hose/tube was long enough and small enough that it would fit all the way down into the small diameter section of the trucks fill tube.
When using jugs, I've never filled with a funnel, or without the flex tube.

First time I filled one I didn't start with the flex tube all the way into the small diameter portion of the trucks fill tube. Resulted in problems and mess similar to what you are describing.
After realizing what I was doing wrong inserted the flex tube further/fully and problems went away.

I would think a funnel with delivery end small enough to fit the smaller portion would help, but I'd think there would still be the issue of def splashing out of the top of the funnel.
I don't recall if the flex tube included provisions for air to release from tank during fill -- but probably did.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try just the flex tube next time, have never tried it that way. I have always used the flex tube and the funnel, that’s slow as crap.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I actually prefer the 2.5 gallon jugs. Never a chance to overflow my tank and make a mess. I don't add DEF until I get down to my 30% warning when I am well aware that I can fit in 2.5 gallons. Plus that way I can verify the date code on the jug and ensure my DEF is new/fresh.

The accordion neck on the jugs is long enough to reach and fit inside the DEF fill hole while you're tipping the jug without spilling. I get a good seal with the provided accordion neck and hold a shop towel around it just in case. Set the jug on the battery/air filter and slowly tip and guide the nozzle in. Once is it in and flowing I use a pocket knife and stab a hole into the back of the jug for better flow.

Whole process takes maybe 3-4 minutes from opening the hood to closing the hood and makes next to no mess if you take care to get the nozzle attached correctly. Any dribbles or messes cleans up with a wet rag.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never received a warning on my 2019. I can scroll through the driver information center and see a graph, but it doesn’t show a percentage.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to run it down to less than 30% to get the warning.
I see, I am going to North Carolina at the end of April. I’ll be pulling a trailer maybe I’ll get the notification then. I’ll be sure to take a 2.5 gallon jug with me just in case I need it.
Thanks everyone,

Mike

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Below 30% the dic page (on K2's) should change to indicate % remaining instead of just saying OK.

My 2018 would give the '1000 mile' warning somewhere around 20% (but it wasn't the same everytime)
Below 300 miles remaining it would indicate miles at every start-up.

fwiw, when it thinks it's empty, it will start a '500 miles to 65 mph limit'.
This message takes over the DIC and cannot be cleared. It runs a countdown indicating how many of the 500 miles remain.
I took my '18 to 'empty' intentionally, to see how the messaging worked.
I did not take it to the end of the 500 miles.

Imo, with the 1000 mile warning and then the 500 miles after empty (before the 65 limit) you're gonna need fuel anyway, so no need to cart jugs.
Semis use def too. On the road, def is available at any busy fuel location. (both bulk and jugs)

When I lived at a location not convenient to bulk pumps I managed def jugs similar to @BrennanK.
Many posters indicated that at the 300 mile warning they could fit in 2 jugs (5 gallons). Mine wouldn't take that much -- so instead of risking a mess and needing to remember to put the rest of the 2nd jug in later I just went with one jug at a time.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with you all, I have been worrying about nothing. I read my owner’s manual it states that I should be able to go approximately seven thousand miles on a gallon. I haven’t put seven thousand miles on my truck yet and have been adding def to often. I’ll wait for the 30% warning before I even worry about it again. I need to use what’s in the tank now before I put more in it.
I buy it at the NAPA store here because it is always fresh and in stock there. I live in a small logging town in north Florida and the NAPA store is one of the few places that sell def here.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I think that's 7000 miles per tank, not per gallon. (if not, it's a typo)

You should expect to use roughly 2 gallons of DEF per 100 gallons of fuel.

Towing uses more fuel, so also uses more def

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that's 7000 miles per tank, not per gallon. (if not, it's a typo)

You should expect to use roughly 2 gallons of DEF per 100 gallons of fuel.

Towing uses more fuel, so also uses more def
You are correct I checked the manual just now and it says 7000 kilometers/miles to a tank. I’m glad that you bought that to my attention. I was wondering how I was going to burn all the def that I currently have in my tank without putting all those miles on my truck. I only have 23,000.00 on it now and I don’t want to put to many on it before I retire. That’s why I have a work car. I wear it out and not my retirement truck.

Reactions: redwngr

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I will try just the flex tube next time, have never tried it that way. I have always used the flex tube and the funnel, that’s slow as crap.
that how I put the def in,,use only the flex hose on the jug.have some water handy,you'll drip a little every now and then.just have to be careful when pulling out the tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned nothing but Chevrolet’s for a long time, I will have to say that there’s times that I look at something that Chevy does and shack my head.

The location that Chevrolet put the fill hole for the DEF for my 2019 2500, LP5 is one of those times, it took me to long today to put a 2.5 gallon jug in my truck and the DEF tank was around 1/4, full possibly 3/8 and it’s a 7 gallon tank.

Is there a trick to get the DEF in quicker with out spilling it everywhere on these trucks?My truck is still under warranty so I can’t change until 2023 and I prefer things be stock anyway for now.

Please share your input,

Mike
I don't use towels but you don't want to get DEF on your paint, if you do wash/rinse it off quickly.

How To Add DEF To Your 17-19 L5P Duramax! (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) - YouTube

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just so you'll know, on my 2019 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, the most I get on a 7 gallon DEF fill is 1700 miles when towing. If I'm not towing, I have gone up to 4500 miles on the tank. When I get the low DEF warning, I always add 2 jugs of DEF, that's 5 gallons. It has been in and out of the shop since new but GMC says this is normal usage. I always carry two 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF but I have started filling them at the bulk pumps. We did a cross country trip last year for 2 months, I carried 8 refilled jugs since I had to fill every 1500 miles. When I'm dumping the jugs, I rotate it to let air in so it empties faster. The fill nozzles have an air inlet but it never seems to be in the right place. But the fill tubes work just fine, I never use a funnel. Of course, mine is under the hood too.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Please share your input,

Mike
Mike, I got one of these on Amazon:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was talking to the local dealership and I mentioned this to him about why Chevrolet put the DEF fill where it’s at, he replied that I would be surprised at the amount of people that put either DEF in the fuel or fuel in the DEF. I know that there’s terrible drivers on the road, maybe now I know why they drive so terrible, they could be just that dumb.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts