Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought new OEM pitman and idler arms and cognito braces....i was trying to install them and i could not figure out how to get the old ones off....are you supposed to use some kind of puller or something? it doesn't seem like there is enough room to use one though. i know this is prob a stupid NOOB question but any help will be much appreciated!

thanks
kevin:help:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You need a pitman arm puller to remove the steering arms, csn find them at any Autoparts store, around $15.

Remove the 2 lower bolts that connect the steering box to the frame, loosen the top a few turns, you will be able to pivit the box enough to get a puller on it to remove the pitman arm.
With the idler arm remove the 3 bolts on the mount, use the puller to seperatethe mount & the arm.

·
Registered
479 Posts
noreaster is right on. Also don't forget to soak the pitman with PB Blaster or some other penetrant. It gets rusted on there pretty good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome thanks for all the help im gonna hit the parts store on the way home and give it a shot!!

thanks again
kevin

·
Registered
620 Posts
Any photos? I bought a puller and it does look tough to get in there. On installation... how do you get those nuts torqued back down?

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
On the tapered joints you just remove the nuts, use a large hammer to "ring" the receiver (drag link) and they'll pop right out.

If memory serves, my pitman puller would not clear w/o removing the steering box bolts and shifting it a bit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This makes it much easier

OTC (OTC6496) Pitman Arm Puller - Compact Design for SUV

In most cases if you just have a cheap pitman arm puller you will need to remove the box from the frame. It depends upon which type of puller you currntly have.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I replaced the idler arm, bracket and steering stabilizer this weekend. That fixed a bit of that loose feeling in the front end but didn't fix the play in the steering as much as I had hoped. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to replace the pitman but It looks like that is going to be the case.

Has anyone replaced the pitman on a 95 K2500 Suburban? I keep staring at it from different angles and it always looks like a nightmare!! I've read where to remove a couple of bolts and then you can move the steering box enough to get a puller on....but i'm just not seeing it. Any help would be much appreciated...photos would be great.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here are a few photos of what I've been staring at.

pitman_01.jpg

pitman_02.jpg

pitman_03.jpg

I have a puller pretty close to the one that was posted earlier in the thread. By taking out the two lower bolts and loosening the upper bolt, the steering box will rotate enough to get a puller on?

Even with the stabilzer bar in the way?

Does the left tie rod have to come off to get this rotation?

What is the best way...remove the arm from the centerlink or steering box first?

I just don't what to get stuck on this project half way in.

·
Registered
620 Posts
was the above question stupid or no ones knows wheather the steering box on a Suburban will rotate enough to get a puller on the pitman arm?;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
braces

will these work on a 2005 gmc yukon xl 2500 4wd with autoride suspension with 7500 miles
no off road use but city roads are a killer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello

Hello...So i went to get new tires on my truck today...they are wore out form buring out for my friends after getting the juice box. Anyways...so they said that i need to replace my idler and pitman arms.....and their bid is 500.....basically a lot more than i want to spend...

how long will it take for me to do it myself...do you reccomend the beefier after market ones? stay with the stock ones? stock ones with the stabalizers?

my plan was to buy the beefier ones.......uncrank my torsion bars some..install the idler and pitman....and then run a smaller tire....285 70-17...kumhos....and then go for an alignment.

and thanks for any replies

·
Registered
29 Posts
idler/pitman

by the way..its a 2004 silverado....lb7.....4x4...with the bars cranked now...and h2 wheels and tires....315 70 17

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
OE joints will do just as well as Moog. Add a fresh set of joints and teh Cognito braces and you will be fine. Cognito braces cover pretty much all of the late model Silverado/sub/tahoe from the 99 body style change fwd, but not the old body style.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Denali,

As a new guy, you may not know about the "search" feature. I frequently use the "advanced search" to find info. If you had done that you would have come across a thread I started that addresses many of the questions you asked. I made that post because I could not find any info from a "home mechanic" about how to do this. Guys in shops provide tons of excellent info on how to do stuff, but there are issues a home mechanic faces that may not occur to a guy working in a well-equipped shop.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81420

·
Registered
620 Posts
afp1- looking at that photo of the pitman, can you tell if the steering box will rotate enough to get a puller on. Just curious before jump into it. I should have started a new thread with the question. Next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts