Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on the diesel page about some guys having to replace there pitman and idler arm at around 60 k miles. One guy said the dealer quated him $700 to replace it. Since I am planing to get a duramax this really scares me. How many miles are you guys getting on your's before relacement. Also how does a 6 inch lift affect the life of these parts. Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
ripper consider pitman/idler arm replacement as standard maintenance. I replaced the pitman and idler arms on my 1/2 ton at 30k miles but I was also running a 6" suspension lift and 36x14.5 tires. Anytime you run a larger tire it puts added wear on the pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rod ends. Running a lift puts even more stress on these components(more leverage) and just accelerates the wear on them. With that said it cost me less than $200 for both pitman and idler arms installed! Fabtech is currently experimenting with their own 'boxed' pitman and idler arms that they say should last much longer. Contrary to what has been said it is pitman and idler arms Fabtech is working on NOT tie rods.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had to replace my idler and pitmans a year after i installed my lift. If I had to do it over again I woudn't of put a lift on my 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Grease them as soon as you get the truck. Mine had hardly any grease in them from the factory. The pitman, I dont think had any!

With no grease they will wear out.

When you grease only give it a few shots only to swell the boot. DO NOT pump until comes out of the boot. That's too much.

I give them one shot of grease every 10K miles. It's important to give a shot every now and then the grease base is water soluable so it does bleed out.Check your manual and use the right kind. the 2003 HD uses NLGI #2.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
OK listen up moron

The pitman arm is the arm attached to the steering box shaft that is connected to your steering. That's on the drivers side. On the passenger side they need another pivoting support. That would be the idler arm. It's basically another pitman arm but since there's no steering box on that side, they designed a mount for it to the frame.

The pitman arm and idler arm hold the centerlink (track rod) steady as it moves side to side, turnong the wheels.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hoot, how in the h#ll do you always have a picture or diagram for every question asked? You must have a 6th sense.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hoot thanks for the pic, sorry, forgive me I am still young (and dumb). So is this a big deal or if I have access to a lift and hand tools can I do it? What all is involved???

Lenny

·
Registered
444 Posts
Idler Arm (on passenger side):

Pitman - #5 (on driver side):

BTW- The black round thing with the hose sticking out is the black cover everyone talks about that GM recommends changing to the white one if you go synthetic in the front differential.

Do you want pictures of all the grease points?Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got 185000 on a 93 3500 & have done the pitman & idler 3 times. I'd figure 60,000 miles max but $700 is out to lunch ... more like $200 as y2kboti said.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I wouldn't bother doing it myself although I can. Had my wifes done for like $250. The pitman arm can be a bugger. The older C/K's you need a special tool.

Pictures....???

I find them that fast just searching.Edited by: hoot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts