Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.pistonslap.com This link works!

www.duramaxBADinjector.com This link does not work but should it?

The only difference is there is/was no fix for the slap, but there is a fix for the injector. Edited by: Gradyghost

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Interesting site on the piston slap Mike, I have torn down too many to remember for piston slap and have never seen anything that would cause a durability problem like they are hinting at. I have seen pistons before and after and there is not really any reason to be alarmed other then the dreaded noise. But, ford and dodge have the same problem.. About two years ago, it was not uncommon to replace pistons in the 3.4 engine found in FWD cars. Somedays I was doing two a day, the noise would go away and come back with in 20k on nearly everyone. GM finally got "smart" and wrote it off as normal, thus saving a boat load of money on those repairs. I have heard some that sounded about like the engine was gonna fall apart, and GM has authorized piston replacement, only to have the noise return a short time later. The latest thing they are doing is offering the customer a 'component letter' which gives an extended warrenty on the pistons and anything that may be damaged should one let go.. I have NEVER seen anybody have to use that letter nor have I seen a failure related to piston slap.

I would be interested to see what the other link has to say...

Eric

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I bought a brand new 02 2500 HD Ext. Cab SB ... and after 4K miles I had the infamous piston slap problem and discovered how wide spread problem it was amoung the 6.0 engines. Instantly I hated my truck. After reading up on the problem for more then 2 weeks I knew I was screwed ...the noise wasn't going to go away permantely and was wrote off by GM as being an "anomoly" of the engine.

My perspective was illregardless of whether it causes any engine damage over the long haul GM was screwing customers ...otherwise they should have been required to list "Engine Knock" on the Windows sticker listed as a "feature". I sold the truck with 8K miles on it and lost 2 grand. I was happy to get rid of the knocker.

On the injector web site ... I'm surprised there isn't one already. Any bad publicity for GM on the injector problems seems as though it would benefit owners in some way. Then again, GM would just put some spin on the problem similar to the piston slap problem.Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
692 Posts
i agree with dmaxallitech. we have had the local paper do a full 2 page write up on the piston slap. nex day phone rang of the hook.no fix for this new engines new piston you nae it the noise comes back. pisses people of to no end they think there engine is junk and they hate us telling them its normal. lets start with the gas makers and see if the problems go ayay.not to mention gm techknowlegy is built to my opinion to be more preformance. yet 9 out 10 motors are started driven 5-8 miles to work maybe hitting 60 mph for 3 min. parked all day to make the same trip home. the other 1 out of 10 are all you out there who drive the rubber off the wheels and thats what the motors are built do, well kind of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts