Diesel Place banner

Pioneer AVIC D3

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kruisecontrol 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am in the process of deciding on a Navigation unit. I am going to pick between the Pioneer avic D3 or the oem nav unit. Really like the expandabiltiy of the D3 but there is one set back. Talked to a tech at crutchfield yesterday and they say that you can not use the factory rear DVD player with this system. So I am asking all of you pros out there, cause there are alot of impovising people out there. Is there a way to hook up and use the factory rear DVD? Is it worth the trouble? What are your comments on this? I am leaning towards the D3 only because of the integrated mp3 and bluetooth. Just seams cleaner then the oem unit? Looking for advise?
Thanks chris

#2 ·
I do not have the rear DVD player because I have Ext cab p/u, but try the link I put here lots of good info on the D3. http://www.avic411.com/

#3 ·
go with the D3, I have one and its great! I have never missed the Rear Seat Entertainment (and neither have my two kids), and there so absolutely no way to integrate it into D3. D3 has a ton more features and expandability than the OEM nav. I have the bluetooth, XM and iPOD controls and its works just fine with steering wheel controls if you buy the interface (get the wired one, not the infrared). Its a bit of work to bit in, and you have to dremel out a piece of the inside of your dash at the back of the radio to get it to fit (but once its in, you will never know you took some of the plastic out). Be patient with the wiring and fitting everything in, the dash is really tight on space behind the radio.

I put my XM behind the glovebox where the original XM was, iPOD in glovebox, steering wheel interface, chime box and bluetooth beneath the cupholders. Works great!

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the great info. Keep it coming. I can see the rear seat controls not being missed, but I don't want to lose the factory dvd player.

#5 ·
Buy the cheap monitors that hang on the rear seats and the D3. The D3 is so much better than OEM crap.... The flip-down monitors have zero lifespan anyway. If you find one that works for more than a year, your lucky. I quit installing those for customers because I was sick of everything dying shortly down the road, and that's even name-brand stuff, not the off-brand crap that's flooding the market.

#6 ·
The D3 is awesome. A friend has it on his 03 PSD F-250 and its the catz azz. Too bad I don't have one in my ride yet. The image is awesome and I highly recommend you invest in a backup camera as well.:)

#7 ·
I would love to get one

I would love to have an avic d3 but man did you see the **** you have to go through to put that in my truck it is freakin hard

#8 ·
Thanks guys for all of the input so far. I agree with all of you that the pioneer d3 is a better nav unit than the oem navigation. But i am torn in my decision because I really don't want to lose the factory rear dvd. Is there a way to wire that in?

#10 ·
SWFL when you replaced the factory dvd, was it a pain to re wire, and could you hide the fact that you used to have a factory unit? Which aftermarket flip down did you go with.

#11 ·
d3

have they resolved the cold weather screen problems ive been reading about?? i have a classic 07 duramax, will the steering controls continue to work with this unit and do you have to use their xm box and cannot use the factory one??? talking to those xm people in poor english almost isnt worth the trouble these days!!

#12 ·
Have you not read the FAQ about the steering wheel controls? It's in almost every thread on this board also.

You'll need the Pioneer XM module.

#13 ·
About the Cold problem. I have fired up my truck in the low teens for a week now with no problems at all. (Visiting Outlaws in Colorado). I haven't seen the problem yet.

#14 ·
its so confusing on what to buy with all the failures of the d3 and z2 and 7100's. is there a unit that really works with: steering wheel, xm, nav, rear camera, ipod, dvd etc....that isnt in question somewhere?

#15 ·
I have the Alpine IVA-205 w/ Blackbird and havent had any trouble with it at all. The biggest selling feature is that it has the Blackbird Nav that is a removable unit and can be used in other cars. Its a portable GPS that slides into the 205 and works through the screen.

I have Nav, XM, Wheel Controls, USB Interface (I dont have an ipod so I just got the usb interface so I can use a stick drive with music and it works just like the IPOD. There is one brand of external HD that works with it as well.) The Blackbird has a MP3 player, Bluetooth built in. This is the unit. Its the only pic I have right now and Im offshore for 2 weeks so I cant take anymore right now.

I know its not the best pic but it gives you an idea

#16 ·
I read on crutchfield reviews that people had some problems with the bose/onstar adapter. part # is metra gmos-04 class II . seems people are having trouble with them making loud popping noises and feedback. Also read that the steering wheel control adapters also have some issues and that they need numerous capasitors for install. Does anyone have any insight on these issues? Just seems that for my needs the factory nav is the way to go, using the usa spec ipod adapter, and after market bluetooth? Is anyone having the same issues? And what would you do?

#17 ·
I have the Bose adapter and have 0 problems. I also have the PAC steering wheel interface and have 0 problems with it as well. No caps were installed. No loud popping noises or feedback.

#18 ·
i decided to go with the kenwood 7100 i think it is, hopefully it will be a good unit. xm, ipod, nav (which is garmin), bluetooth and backup camera...all installed with all adapters for $1750. what do you think???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.