Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a long Post.

Saturday Afternoon:
Buy beer and a few odds and ends and take everything out to unheated pole barn to begin install. Temperature 10 Degrees.
Installed blocker plate and fingers stick in truck, start to check for leaks or codes. Open can of beer and smoke cigarette.
Removed old exhaust from cat back, and break 5, count um 5 sawzall blades in the process. Decide that the blades were never designed for cold weather. Go to take a drink of beer and realize it is frozen:eek: . Temperature 1 Degree. Decide that I should have bought exhaust during summer :duh: and go to hooters with buddy to warm up:drinking: .

Sunday Afternoon.
High for the day is 5 degrees but I decide to finish the install anyway.
Remove old front pipe. Install new Front pipe. Go to install the rest and realize nothing matches up. Call Pinnacle because I didn't recieve any instructions. Amazingly someone is there on a sunday night, they explain what I need to do and email me the long lost instructions. I took the two pipes I need to cut in the house along with my saw and blades and I will cut them and finish the install in the morning.

I'll update this tomorrow after I finish the install and I will post some pics and a soundclip as well. A big A+ for pinnacles customer service, and the system seems to be well made as well. I love winter.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I finally finished everything. Got my old man to help and we finished everything in about 45 minutes. Fit was good, and the truck sounds mean now. I love it. I installed everything but the tailpipe piece as I don't have my tip yet and I will need to cut it when I do. Overall I am satisfied and I would definately buy it again especially for the price. I do have a bit of a leak at the downpipe, the V-band clamp is junk, but we made it work until I get a new one tomorrow. I'll post pics and a soundclip once I get that done this week.

·
Registered
846 Posts
cool. look forward to the pics and soundclip. I've been thinking about getting a jardine setup as well, they seem to be reasonably priced.

I'm curious to know if you experience any drone in the cab at highway speeds?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
hahahaha...Rebelchevy, I like your honesty. Your post gave me a good laugh! Thanks, I needed that. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heh, funny post. :)

I was looking @ getting a Jardine exhaust for my '06 Suzuki RMZ450 because a guy swears by his (I ended up going with a Yoshimura instead) Didnt even know they made them for our trucks, gonna have to check them out now :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have one on an LB7. I have had it on for 1.5 years and am still happy with it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
SubTexel,
Your thinking about jardine perf in corona ca. That's our old company in ca. We are now Pinnacle Power and located in wyoming. My dad, Jerry Jardine sold that company in the mid 80s. Look for our upcoming sale for dieselplace members in the following weeks. You can link our web sight or T&Js diesel from the vendors list.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Why the sawzall?

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's easier to remove the stock sys. if your not going to save it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I took a video clip of the new exhaust. It was 20 degrees out today. It actually felt warm. Anyway, I still have a small leak at the downpipe, the clamp is f'd up and no dealer had one so I fixed the original with part of one off a cummins. I'll have to order a new one. Other than that everything is great, I out the tailpipe on, but I still have not ordered a tip. I took some pics but they suck so I didn't post them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9036792144325385707

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hey Rebel....sounds just awesome. I'm thinkin my old 97 needs some exhaust!! Great thread.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Just for a comparison, here's a lly straight piped factory exhaust. Wait till the high idle kicks in, the jet sound realllly picks up!

http://media.putfile.com/COLD-truck-start

I'm with you on working on the truck in the cold, I had a fun time just getting the heater plug rigged up let alone installing an exhaust!!

-Chris

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the clip Rebelchevy - sounds good!

Yours sounds good too yitsock!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Rebelchevy87,

OUCH!! One Degree, us Southern Boys can't deal with that!!! Glad you got it installed hope it selas up for you. As far as the sawsall blades get ones that are at least 8 inches total length, that way the blade covers the whole width of the pipe with one cut thru including the back and forth action of the saw itself!! The blade specs are usally say 6 inches and the "real" length of the blade when installed and cutting in more like 4 inches with the movement of the saws design etc. Don't ask how I know, been under waaaaay too many trucks in my time!! Maybe this info will save someone else some of the samew problems. I also will NOT buy anything but a Milwaukee, Dewalt etc brand name blade as the others just don't last and they are more brittle too!

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
260 Posts
Easy to remove cat-back system without cutting.Had the rear end off the ground adout 4.5 feet at the bumper.A little twisting a little pulling and it fell right out.With a vehicle lift it would be a breeze.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dan L;1582596; said:
Easy to remove cat-back system without cutting.Had the rear end off the ground adout 4.5 feet at the bumper.A little twisting a little pulling and it fell right out.With a vehicle lift it would be a breeze.
Actually, I gave up on the Sawzall without ever having made it through the stock system. I just jacked up the truck and pulled it off with a bit of twisting. I did have to remove the exaust mount that bolts to the transmission to get the stock front pipe out because of the cat, other than that it came out fairly easily. I just drove 6 hours and the exhaust is almost as quiet as stock from 65mph on up. There is noticable sound at slower speeds, but nothing obnoxious. I love it. Also it is much easier to connect the frontpipe to the downpipe with the inner fender removed. My next project will be a transgo jr. and some guages before I buy a programmer, but I think I am going to wait until spring/summer this time, and the pole barn is definately getting some insulation and the furnace hooked up before next winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish I would have found this thread sooner! I just picked up my new exhaust and I was eager to install it. I did my research on this site and found that average time for an exhaust install is around 2-3 hours. I made sure I had plenty of time and a couple extra 6" sawzall blades just in case. I didn't remember them shrinking so much when installed! That didn't really matter, because both my batteries went dead half way through the first cut. Time to upgrade! So, I had to hand cut the stock exhaust. Made 2 cuts, one behind the muffler, one behind the cat. I also had to remove the bracket/mount from the tranny to get the cat out. I don't see how you guys did it in one piece, especially with the 1000" diameter drive shaft in the way! It's out now, but I'll have to wait for daylight to install the new one.

And, yes, I am mechanically inclined and I know how to use a BFH!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I installed my 4" system the other night. You can get the stock system out without cutting if you are on a lift or over a pit. You do have to take the trans exhaust hanger off to get the front pipe out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.